Residency Cultural Dance Educator
Design Dance is looking to add Dance Educators of Cultural Dance forms to our team to work with our In-School Residency Programs in the Spring of 2020.
Learn more below and visit http://www.designdance.net/joinourteam/ to apply today!
About The Company
Design Dance is a community-based dance education company serving students in the Chicagoland area. Our programming is designed to grow social-emotional skills in our students through the creative art of dance. Through a dedication to collaboration, our program is constantly evolving to offer high quality dance education that meets the needs of the communities we serve. Each student, regardless of ability level, is given the tools to build community and better express themselves through movement, performance and collaboration. Our programs flourish through a staff of dance educators who display a passion for working with children, increasing access to dance education, and advocating for the importance of community arts programs.
About The Position
As part of our In-School Residency Programs, Design Dance Instructors become part of a team of dance educators supporting dance and social-emotional learning in schools across Chicago. Design Dance offers in-school residency programs that range from traditional dance classes to integrated curriculum for Chicago students in PreK-12th grades. To help us bring these programs to life and activate social-emotional learning in students through dance, Design Dance is seeking qualified and determined dance educators for daytime dance residencies in Chicago Public Schools.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN A DESIGN DANCE EDUCATOR
Working in the classroom, you will demonstrate:
- A background in teaching dance to PreK-12th grade students
- A background teaching in schools, after school programs, and/or community centers
- Proficient ability to plan and deliver engaging dance lessons plans
- Broad content knowledge and passion for world cultural dances
- An interest in learning and teaching world dance styles that align with the social studies curriculum of our school partners.
- Ability to connect dance styles to cultural context through lesson planning.
- Patience and an ability to adapt to diverse learner needs.
- Comfortability with classroom management techniques.
- Interest in learning and activating social-emotional skill building in teaching approaches
- Enthusiasm and drive for teaching dance to students who may have never been exposed to the arts.
Working as a Design Dance contractor, you will demonstrate:
- Reliable and prompt arrival times to Design Dance program locations (transportation to South Side or West Side neighborhoods is encouraged)
- Daytime availability on multiple weekdays
- Ability to attend pre-program meetings and curriculum trainings
- Professional communication with Design Dance management, school partners and students
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ownership of programs and work
- Comfortability adapting teaching approaches and lesson plans to unknown variables that come with working in Chicago Public Schools
HOW WE WILL INVEST IN YOU
- Design Dance will provide you with a variety of professional development and training opportunities designed to bolster your skills in dance instruction, classroom management, and social-emotional skill building
- Design Dance will connect you to a network of dance educators and industry partners in Chicago
- Design Dance will offer you a flexible work environment that allows you to set your own schedule and, when applicable, negotiate teaching opportunities in accordance with your needs and availability