Publishing Programs Coordinator
826CHI is looking for an enthusiastic, committed individual who is excited to join a hard-working, mission-driven team that has a passion for expanding access to creative youth development in Chicago by leading our publishing programs and publication development. Showcasing the writing of our students is a top tenant of our work and mission; to provide professional publishing experiences, publications, and public art works that celebrate, affirm, and platform youth voices.
The Publishing Programs Coordinator supports all aspects of working with students and teachers to create and curate student writing for publication, publication management and development, and closely collaborates with the Communications Manager around book printing, book promotion and publication release events.
This position offers the opportunity to become deeply engaged in building systems and partnerships that directly support our mission and students.
Coordinate publication projects
- Create and implement curriculum and serve as lead mentor for our Teen Writers Studio and Young Author Book Project.
- Collaborate with the Program Coordinator to develop chapbook projects in our After School Tutoring and Writing program.
- Lead expansive thinking about how 826CHI defines student publications (platforms, methods, processes) to best engage a wide range of stakeholder audiences.
- Routinely communicate and build partnerships with publications volunteers, including the Design Cohort and the Editing Cohort
- Supervise publications intern
- Assist Director of Programs and Program Team in long-term publication planning
- Works with Operations Manager to ensure retail space is stocked with publications
- Works with Operations Manager to distribute 826CHI publications across Chicago
- Builds partnerships with local booksellers and presses
- Generates book making and publication resources for staff and volunteers
Support Organizational Marketing and Communications Projects
- Work with Communications Manager on marketing and collateral as they relate to publications.
- Work with the Development team to provide anecdotes and other key insights and information to share with donor audiences.
- Support organizational efforts to recruit, train, manage, and appreciate program volunteers and interns
- Support other programs as needed
- Support fundraising projects as needed
The Publishing Programs Coordinator reports to the Director of Programs and is part of the Program Team. The Publishing Programs Coordinator oversees Publications interns and volunteers.
- Knowledge and expertise in curating and producing digital and print publications
- 3+ years experience in working with youth and developing and implementing arts curriculum
- Experience in providing instruction within project-based learning models
- Systems oriented and able to multitask
- Proficiency with Adobe suite, mastery of InDesign and Illustrator
- Proficiency with WordPress and Tumblr
- Highly organized and able to coordinate multiple short and long-term projects
- Results focused, solution minded, and proactive
- Passion for youth development in Chicago
- Knowledgeable about Chicago public education
- Preferred: Knowledge of and experience in the literary/publishing industry and landscape
826CHI is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not submit application materials to this email address. For questions, please contact email@example.com.
826CHI does not discriminate in hiring. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for this and all posted positions.