Public Relations and Digital Media Associate
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Public Relations & Digital Media Associate will be an integral team member in the Marketing and Communications Department, advancing Chicago Shakespeare’s storytelling to engage a wide range of constituents and elevating the institution’s overall brand profile. This position will play an active role in coordinating media strategy, managing the Theater’s social media presence, and supporting in the development of creative copy and content.
- Reports To: Director of Communications
- Manages: N/A
- Work Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm with modified work hours during performances/events
About Chicago Shakespeare Theater
Regional Tony Award-recipient Chicago Shakespeare Theater produces a bold and innovative year-round season—plays, musicals, world premieres, family productions, and theatrical presentations from around the globe—alongside nationally recognized education programming serving tens of thousands of students, teachers, and lifelong learners each year. Founded in 1986, the Theater’s onstage work has expanded to as many as twenty productions and 650 performances annually. Chicago Shakespeare is dedicated to welcoming the next generation of theatergoers; one in four of its audience members is under the age of eighteen. As a nonprofit organization, the Theater works to embrace diversity, prioritize inclusion, provide equitable opportunities, and offer an accessible experience for all. On the Theater’s three stages at its home on Navy Pier, in classrooms and neighborhoods across the city, and in venues around the world, Chicago Shakespeare is a multifaceted cultural hub—inviting audiences, artists, and community members to share powerful stories that connect and inspire.
Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values diversity, inclusion, equity, and access, as well as promoting a safe and supportive work environment embodying the company’s core values of service, collaboration, and ingenuity. www.chicagoshakes.com/ideatoac... Relations
- Support the Director of Communications in executing public relations and media strategy around the Theater’s productions and programs.
- Create media communications calendar for scheduling press releases, invitations, and other editorial.
- Advance media efforts by drafting press copy, pitching stories, fulfilling photo/b-roll requests, and generating coverage reports.
- Arrange logistics for media interviews and appearances, and coordinate details for opening nights and special events.
- Update media contacts and manage event RSVPs in Tessitura CRM database.
- Book tickets for media and PR guests.
- Engage in outreach to secure additional earned visibilities and expand Chicago Shakespeare’s reach.
- Distribute promotional copy/imagery and create asset toolkits for partners.
- Facilitate cross-promotional partnerships with cultural organizations, local businesses, and associations.
- Establish 1-3 new community partner relationships for each production to engage widest spectrum of new potential audience members.
- Maintain up-to-date contact information for partners and proactively add new prospects to Tessitura as personnel changes and new relationships are forged.
- Attend Chicago industry events to build the Theater’s network of promotional partners.
- Serve as a primary copywriter and proofreader for all marketing communications and digital copy.
- Oversee Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s social media presence.
- Develop organizational social media editorial calendar.
- Generate, edit, publish and share engaging native content across platforms.
- Directly interact with and respond to inquiries from followers in a timely manner.
- Monitor metrics, prepare reports on success of campaigns, and make data-driven decisions to adjust strategy.
- Stay up-to-date with trends and identify opportunities to expand the Theater’s brand online.
- Assist in the planning, creation, and distribution of digital content for website, e-marketing and social media.
- Collaborate on digital marketing strategy and brainstorm creative content campaigns.
- Coordinate logistics across departments for photoshoots and filming and serve as a liaison for freelance videographers and photographers.
- Organize and maintain the Theater’s photo and video archives.
The salary range for this position is $40,000.00 – $44,000.00, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 403b, paid time off, life insurance, and commuter spending plan.
- 1-3 years experience in marketing, communications, public relations, and/or social media.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in managing social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Experience with photo/video editing is preferred.
- Passion for theater and the performing arts is a strong plus.
- Creative eye for generating engaging content across platforms.
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple constituents and across departments in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and multitask as needed to meet deadlines.
- Available to work nights and weekends as needed for performances and special events.