Prototyper / Woodworker
Troscan operates from a 15500 square foot facility on Chicago’s West Side. Our made-to-order, limited production runs and attention to detail can only be achieved through close collaboration amongst a small cadre of like-minded individuals, Troscan maintains a reputation of producing thoughtfully designed and exceptionally executed products of enduring value.
A well-run shop rides on the full engagement and well-being of every team member. At Troscan, we strive to maintain workplace practices and culture that honor the talents of team members while ensuring their safety, and acknowledging their collective roles in the process.
Craftspeople work in the Troscan workshop individually and as a team to fabricate fine furniture that sold exclusively through showrooms. The craftsperson will be responsible for fabricating pieces that meets or exceeds our client’s high standards. Driver’s license is required. Interested candidates should contact us and send a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Troscan Design + Furnishings, 400 N Oakley, Chicago, IL 60612
Department: Furniture manufacturing
Position reports to: Production Coordinator
Compensation: Hourly (+ benefits post probationary period, including Vacation plus personal/sick hours and Health Insurance)
Status: Full Time, non-exempt
• Highly proficient in woodworking using all shop machinery/tools
• Building furniture prototypes/mock ups to different resolutions based on project need
• Creating fixtures/jigs for furniture building
• Final furniture assembly
• Final inspection and finish touch up
• Keeping an organized, tidy and clean immediate work area while also contributing to general shop maintenance/cleanliness
• Documenting and improving prototyping processes
• Keep work area clean and organized. Constantly improve your work area for efficiency.
• Communicate with production coordinator to keep on task and define priorities of items moving through fabrication
• Assist other departments when needed. Help receive and store materials/components delivered to other departments.
• Maintain work order files in your department
• Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
• Communicate with our shipping team to inform them of complete orders ready for crating
• General shop maintenance tasks such as cleaning dust collector
• Maintain a regular established in person schedule with on time attendance
• Excellent communicator. Clear and concise, not afraid to propose a solution to a problem and a willingness to contribute.
• Someone with a strong initiative and thoughtful work ethic.
• Strong initiative with an adaptable attitude to respond to and take action with changing directives
• Diplomatic and professional demeanor, Able to take on a variety of tasks with a can-do attitude.
• 3-5 years minimum experience in carpentry, fine woodworking, use of power tools, and/or fabrication, preferably in a similar fabrication setting or department.
• Proficiency with basic hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
• Excellent comprehension abilities-- Ability to read shop drawings and check dimensions as well
as perform mathematical calculations and measurements.
• High attention to detail and strong organizational abilities.
• Excellent communication and comprehension skills; able to interpret detailed instructions.
• Good time management abilities; self-starter.
• Must be able to lift/move 50-70 lbs
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Must have good health/strength, and stamina.
• Schedule requires regular hours and availability (Monday through Thursday, 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Fridays, 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM). Overtime rare and scheduled in advance.