Applications for this Internship must be received by March 1, 2020.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters and technicians. Together, the Production Department executes the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of our new flexible performance space, The Yard in 2017, the Production department ensures unique learning experiences for our interns.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Properties interns are entrusted with a great deal of responsibility and are given challenging hands-on work furthering the build of upcoming productions. The internship includes the opportunity to build professional relationships, receive one-on-one mentoring from the Properties Supervisor, and build portfolio pieces.
The Properties Internship will ideally begin in late May or early June. The exact start and end dates are negotiable. Internship hours range from part to full time. All internship candidates must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week for a minimum of 6 weeks in order for this experience to be a worthwhile educational endeavor. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in scenic/properties work
- Basic knowledge of hand and power tools
- Basic knowledge of paint and craft techniques (including basic sewing)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Photoshop
- Flexibility and ability to work within tight deadlines
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Willingness to learn and work as part of a team
- Self-starter, willing to take ownership of a specific project or task
- Working directly with the Properties Supervisor to understand the overall scope of properties build and collaborate on pieces or projects appropriate for your skill level and interest
- Assisting with researching, locating, building, crafting, and purchasing props
- Contributing to friendly, clean, and safe working practices in the shop
- Assisting in the inventory and maintenance of props storage and rentals
- Working closely with other technical departments and visiting theater professionals
- Assisting on special projects as needed
- Design, budget, and build a project which will explore incomplete skillsets and develop existing ones
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
To be considered for a Properties Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating:
- Your specific interest(s) in this particular internship
- Your available start and end dates
- Hourly time commitment each week
- How you hope this internship will support your future goals
- A current CV or resume describing relevant experience
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements.
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Production Department at email@example.com.