NOTE: This is a position in the audio field, not the film field, but there is no option to select audio on this job board. Experience in documentary film & narrative storytelling is however related!
DEADLINE TO APPLY: February 29th
POSITION TITLE: Programs Assistant (Part-time / Temporary)
REPORTS TO: Program Director
COMPENSATION: $22 per hour
DATE: April-October 2020 (Average 2 days per week / 8 hours per day; extended hours during the week of the 2020 Third Coast Conference)
Third Coast is an independent arts non-profit driven by the belief that audio storytelling is an artform unto its own. We value nurturing and supporting a field that is intersectional, diverse, community-driven, self-reflective, and pushes the boundaries of the medium. A home for audio storytelling without borders, we’ve been rooted in the city of Chicago for two decades. Third Coast supports makers by identifying, recognizing, and curating talent; building community across borders and disciplines; increasing shared resources and accessibility within the industry; and igniting transformative innovations around the world.
Third Coast seeks a part-time, temporary Programs Assistant to support with the annual Third Coast/RHDF Competition, the Third Coast Residency, and the Third Coast Conference.
The Assistant will support Third Coast’s programming staff in completing a breadth of administrative, curatorial, and strategic tasks. The Programs Assistant will take part in the preliminary, pre-Jury selection process of the 2020 Third Coast/RHDF Competition, which requires a critical perspective and finely tuned ear for storytelling, structure, sound elements, context, and subject matter. Following the Competition, the Assistant will support staff in a multitude of tasks leading up to the Residency and the Conference, including: logistics, information management, event production, and support on marketing and communications. While there might be production opportunities associated with this job, this position is better suited for candidates with a passion for audio storytelling who are specifically looking to grow their skills in arts administration and event production.
We seek a candidate capable of juggling multiple projects with overlapping timelines. A successful application should demonstrate a broad range of skills, an eagerness to work in a fast-paced, adaptive, and collaborative environment, and a drive to learn on the job. We value: attention to detail, communication skills, patience, emotional intelligence, and the flexibility to work both independently and in collaboration with different members of a small team.The Programs Assistant should be based in Chicago during the duration of the position (May - October.)
- Provide general administrative and marketing support to Third Coast staff on a variety of year-round programming, including: Competition, Residency, Conference, and live events;
- Provide assistance in logistical planning leading up to and during the Conference, Awards Ceremony, and public-facing events;
- Organize and manage logistical information relevant to the Conference and associated programming, including but not limited to: communications with attendees, volunteers, venues, partners, and sponsors;
- Assist in communications to the Conference community, including but not limited to: communications with attendees, volunteers, venues, partners, and sponsors;
- Support staff in meeting the needs of Conference attendees before, during, and after the Conference.
- Interest in the work and mission of Third Coast, including: the field of narrative audio storytelling and/or arts & media, building and fostering community, and supporting/broadening equity in the arts
- A demonstrated excitement for narrative storytelling and a sensitivity and awareness for discourse around story and structure
- Proficiency in Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Drive) required; familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite or similar design software is useful but not required
- Excellent organizational skills
- A good communicator and a team player
- A creative self-starter
Note: The Third Coast Conference is held for a period of three days on the second floor of the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place Chicago. While the Conference is accessible to attendees with varying mobility needs, the Programs Assistant position can be physical at times. Preferred ability to remain standing and/or in motion for prolonged periods of time and ability to lift objects of up to 50lbs.
How to apply
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single pdf, by Friday, February 28, at 11:59 PM CT with the subject line: 2020ProgramsAssistant_(LASTNAME).
- A one-page cover letter/personal statement explaining your interest in the position, what you hope to get out of the experience, your previous experience with administrative tasks, data management, customer service, organizational skills, as well as your experience related to narrative storytelling in any medium or field.
- The names and contact info for 2 professional references
Finalists will be interviewed by Third Coast staff, and the Programs Assistant will be hired by the end of March.
Third Coast is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and actively seeks diversity in its organizational culture and team members. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law. If you require further accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will do what we can to meet your needs. POC are highly encouraged to apply.