Program Residency Coordinator
Residency Program Coordinator
at Urban Gateways
About Urban Gateways:
Urban Gateways is celebrating 60 years as a catalyst for creative youth voices in our city through multiple initiatives built with a broad network of local and national partnerships. Our mission is to: Engage young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change.
The team at Urban Gateways works to overcome social and economic barriers for youth to access Chicago’s artistic and cultural vitality, fostering a more creative and artistically
responsive society. Urban Gateways was founded in 1961 to connect youth to the city’s many arts and culture institutions as a vital tool for personal growth and expanded opportunities. Through a range of initiatives, young people acquire and refine artistic skills, demonstrate their talents, engage in critical thinking, explore new possibilities, and contribute to the civic discourse of our community. Urban Gateways works across the metro area and in nearly every Chicago ward, with concentrated efforts in South and West side communities. The organization conducts Arts Education, Creative Youth Development, and Civic Engagement initiatives that reach over 90,000 youth across 250 locations annually. For more information, please visit www.urbangateways.org
Urban Gateways offers an inclusive environment that celebrates collaboration and thinking differently to solve the challenges before us. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels of the population we serve. Urban Gateways is deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusiveness. Individuals from groups whose voices are not traditionally represented in arts education spaces are particularly encouraged to apply.
Position: Residency Program Coordinator
The Residency Program Coordinator provides support to the Program Department by working collaboratively with in- and out-of-school and community-based programs to play an instrumental role in supporting dynamic and engaging arts experiences for our participants.
Department: Program Department, School-Based Programs Team
Status: Full-time Salaried Exempt, 40 hrs/wk, occasional evenings/weekends as needed
Salary: High-30’s, commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Urban Gateways provides group health insurance with choices between HMO and PPO, Dental insurance, Life insurance, Long-term Disability, optional employee paid Vision, an employee contributed medical Flexible Savings Account (FSA) option, and an employee contributed 401K retirement plan. Urban Gateways also has an Unlimited Paid-Time-Off (PTO) policy.
- Serve as the primary point person for a portfolio of ongoing in- and out-of-school residencies, workshops, and educator professional development programs as well as related special projects
- Coordinate all aspects of residency programs (including workshops and professional development): scheduling artists, handling program changes and substitutions, creating and tracking school/partner and artist paperwork, overseeing individual program budgets, and other related duties
- Collaborate across Program Staff to implement, design, and support virtual program delivery models created in response to current safety restrictions
- Works with Senior Program staff to develop and implement new program models or components to enhance student/audience experiences within residencies, workshops, and other program models, primarily informed by best practices in Creative Youth Development
- Support Program Managers in artist recruitment and onboarding for new teaching artists
- Conduct program observations support artists and their development; provide regular feedback to artists to support growth
- Work with Program Managers on the design and implementation of professional development opportunities for artists
- Work with Program Managers and teaching artists to support program evaluation, including data collection and/or process documentation
- Support efforts from the Communications Department to promote and showcase instructional programs, including helping to coordinate documentation site visits and collecting information for the website and print collateral
- Work closely with Operations and Finance on systems for administrative tasks including contracting and invoicing, scheduling, site follow up, and data entry
- Urban Gateways is working to become an antiracist institution and requires all staff members to actively participate I regular training, analysis, and discourse on dismantling systemic racism.
- Perform other administrative and departmental duties as necessary
- 2+ years experience in the arts education or arts fields with a passion for programming, (relevant internships or apprenticeships count towards experience);
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize and manage numerous tasks and projects while maintaining positive attitude and cool demeanor; must be a team player while being able to work independently;
- Demonstrated experience in one or more arts disciplines with a working knowledge of the Chicago arts landscape;
- Passion for the arts, arts education, and working with young people;
- Understanding of Chicago Public Schools, educational standards, and general school practices;
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Experience and/or ability to work and interact effectively with a diverse, multicultural audience;
- Access to reliable transportation to visit programs throughout the area when safe;
- Access to a reliable internet connection for remote work, Urban Gateways will issue a laptop for work purposes;
- Microsoft Office, Adobe Premiere Pro, Google Suite experience; Salesforce, video editing, and Zoom experience a plus.
Comments: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Residency Program Coordinator in the subject line. For best consideration, please apply by May 3, 2021. Interviews will take place during the first two weeks of May with the goal to have someone start the first week of June. We will make every effort to accommodate candidates’ schedules and needs in all parts of the hiring process.
Location: Urban Gateways staff is currently fully remote until further notice. The ideal candidate will reside in the Chicago area once in-person work and programs are deemed safe again.