About Alphawood Foundation Chicago. Alphawood Foundation Chicago (Alphawood) is a Chicago-based, grant-making private foundation working for an equitable, just, and humane society. Each year we award grants to organizations working to expand legal services and advocacy, empower communities of color, protect the rights of LGBTQ+ individuals and persons living with HIV/AIDS, increase access to the arts, and preserve the built environment. In addition, through Alphawood Exhibitions, we present socially engaged art and architecture exhibitions.
About the Position. Alphawood is looking for an individual excited to join a small and dynamic team to serve as a Program Officer. This is a full-time, salaried, in-person position located in the Foundation’s Chicago office (Lincoln Park). The Program Officer reports to the Executive Director of the Foundation and will work closely with the Executive Director on grantmaking priorities and special projects.
Alphawood seeks an individual who understands the challenges of nonprofit organizations big and small, is knowledgeable and passionate about the Chicago region and issue areas important to the Foundation, and has excellent relationship building skills.
Duties and Responsibilities. The Program Officer’s duties and responsibilities include the following:
• Grant Evaluation: Take leadership role in Alphawood’s grantmaking work. Conduct due diligence and site visits with respect to grant applicants; evaluate grantees with respect to populations served and methods of service, governance, programming, finances, and other factors.
• Strategy: Assist in the development and evaluation of strategic initiatives and areas of focus for the Foundation.
• Advocacy: Understand and advocate for issues important to Alphawood with grantees and other interested parties. Develop an understanding of trends, challenges and opportunities that affect issues and areas of importance to Alphawood.
• Research and Special Projects: Identify and undertake research on areas of importance and provide critical analysis and assistance as needed on projects of importance.
• Grantee Development: Identify and build relationships with prospective grantees.
• Reporting and Recordkeeping: Generate reports for management and Alphawood’s Board.
• Public Representation of the Foundation: Act as a public representative of the Foundation to the community. Establish and cultivate relationships with people and organizations that help Alphawood achieve its mission and serve as a collaborative force for good in the community.
Qualifications. Candidates should have the following qualifications and characteristics:
• 5-10 years of relevant professional experience.
• Past experience in nonprofits, the arts, community organizations, or a related field, and knowledge of Chicago’s nonprofit landscape.
• History of commitment, involvement, or accomplishment in one or more of the areas of Alphawood’s mission.
• Strong research, writing, and oral communications skills.
• Superior analytical skills; ability to synthesize information and distill complex concepts.
• Understanding of nonprofit financial statements, budgets, and governance structures.
• Ability to use and manage applicable technology and database tools.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; eagerness to lean about new issues.
• Motivation, flexibility, and initiative. The ability to thrive in a small, independent, entrepreneurial office environment. Resilience under pressure. A sense of humor.
• A college degree is required; advanced degree or significant work experience preferred.
• This is a full-time position. Evening and weekend work may be required on occasion.
• Staff is currently working in-person at the Foundation’s office (2401 N. Halsted St.). There is free onsite parking. Remote work is not offered.
• For the safety and well-being of our employees, we require employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (which includes one booster). Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with the law.
• This position operates primarily in an accessible office environment. However, travel for site-visits and events may be required; some locations may not be fully accessible.
• Alphawood is an equal opportunity employer with a progressive, LGBTQ‐friendly environment. We are looking for someone who is excited to join our team.
• Salary is in the $85,000 to $100,000 range, commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive benefits package includes health insurance, retirement plan, and vacation time.
How to Apply.
All applications for this position should include a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. (References may be subsequently requested.)
Please forward these materials to email@example.com (please put “Program Officer” in the subject line). No phone calls, please. Applicants will be contacted if additional information is required, or an interview is requested.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please submit all application materials no later than January 15, 2023.