Program Manager – Studio Programs
WHO WE ARE: SkyART is a permanent fixture in the vibrant cultural landscape of Chicago's South Side. Founded in 2001 with a mission to provide youth with an accessible, safe place to participate in quality visual arts programs at no cost, SkyART continues to fulfill its mission in South Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods, reaching young people through a rich variety of programs. Driving its mission, is a deep understanding of the transformative power of art and its capacity to enhance intellectual, emotional, and social development. SkyART is a foundation from which creativity grows and individuals flourish. Participants are invited into a world of imaginative possibilities and connections that go beyond the individual, to positively impact all of the communities where we work and the city as a whole.
With art at the center of everything we do, SkyART provides free, safe, open spaces where young
people are empowered and connections are made.
Our work is guided by these core concepts:
- Accessibility – we remove barriers – promoting participation in our programs, connection with other institutions and communities, and access to the broader world.
- Responsiveness – we innovate – adapting programs to the evolving context within which we work, fostering civic engagement, cultural democracy, and social wellbeing.
- Totality – we are committed to reaching the whole person – recognizing that every participant has a unique life experience characterized by their own needs, assets, and interests.
- Stability – we are a consistent presence – the “third place” after home and school, where participants develop meaningful relationships and experience a feeling of extended family.
WHAT WE DO: Through interdisciplinary, process-based projects, skill-building workshops, and large-scale collaborations, SkyART encourages critical thinking and inspires creative expression for youth ages 7 to 24. Using an artist-in-residence model, Teaching Artists work side by side with students, in an atmosphere of mutual esteem and shared curiosity, through our dynamic and experimental new methodology, the SkyWAY. Our programs include: after-school and Saturday programs at our headquarters, the SkyWAY Studios in South Chicago (Studio); classroom arts integration and afterschool programs at partnering schools (Schools); and programs ranging from one-day workshops to multi-week courses offered in coordination with organizations such as city parks and libraries, as well as other non-profit program partners (Community).
HOW YOU CONTRIBUTE
You are passionately driven and dedicated to enriching the lives of young people through art, specifically through the SkyWAY. At SkyART and beyond, the Program Manager is representative of SkyART’s mission and core values. They are responsible for managing SkyART’s Studios, Teaching Artists and support staff. They will supervise the Studio Coordinator which entails goal setting with measurable outcomes. They track program outcomes and schedule studio programming, Professional Development workshops and orientations. They are charged with ensuring the vibrancy and diversity of all studio programs — SkyWAY (ages 7-24) and Project 3rd Space (ages 14-18), and work daily to ensure meaningful, impactful and measurable programming at SkyART Studios. Program Managers report directly to the Assistant Director of Programs.
- Manage programming of SkyART Studios including recruitment and onboarding studio support staff, teaching artists, assistant teaching artists, interns, and participants
- Cultivating and maintaining a strong, consistent cohort of teaching artists
- Ensuring adherence to established SkyART core philosophies
- Oversee coordination of cultural field trips for participants at SkyART Studios
- Supervise a Coordinator, creating goals and measurable outcomes to ensure their success
Facilitate evaluation of SkyART Studio Programs including:
- Ensuring dissemination, implementation and tracking of established evaluation tools
- Evaluating (and helping to document) application of the SkyWAY across programs, including analysis for goal setting and continuous improvement
Support Marketing And Communications
- Support and implement social media and marketing strategies including regular updates and posts of relevant information
- Ensure consistent and recent documentation of SkyART programs including photographs, videos and testimonials of students and artwork in studio and school programs
Promote SkyART Studio Programs through Outreach Activities
- Ensure accurate student attendance and analyze retention and numbers
- Contribute to and activate the repository of promotional collateral including presentations and program overviews
- Coordinate and help execute open houses and support and lead community events at SkyART.
- Support and help facilitate outreach and recruitment opportunities to increase/maintain SkyART studio participation, particularly with teens and young adults
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES:
- BFA or BA in arts-related field required
- A minimum of two years of nonprofit, social services, foundation/association environment, arts-related experience preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to draft and deliver impactful presentations, write persuasive solicitation letters and website content, and prepare well-organized reports
- Significant experience working with youth
- Strong project management, research and organizational capabilities
- Ability to work autonomously and make informed, thoughtful decisions
- Knowledge of art and art history
- Ability to work within a small collaborative environment and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Relevant leadership experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
WHAT WE OFFER:
SkyART offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a competitive salary commensurate with background, experience, and position responsibilities. Depending on the position, in addition to salary, benefits for eligible employees may include:
- Paid time off (PTO) allowance including two weeks vacation, five personal days, and five sick days per year
- Twelve paid holidays and one additional day off for your birthday
- Employee retirement account with 3% contribution from SkyART
- Health Insurance benefits with minimal cost paid by employee
HOW YOU APPLY
Please submit cover letter with resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ”Program Manager-Studio’' in the subject line. Do not mail or fax.
No telephone inquiries please.