Program Director, Ceramics
Since 1975, Lillstreet Art Center has been a community of artists and students working side-by-side. Our intent has always been to offer an alternative space to create, connect with, and find community. Lillstreet Art Center supports the arts through a multifaceted arts education program, year-long artist residencies, an art exhibition space, retail sales opportunities for artists, studio rentals and arts-based professional development.
Lillstreet’s Ceramic Department is ^10 and ^04 studio averaging over 600 students per session. Our programming includes classes in wheelthrowing, handbuilding, figure sculpting, tile making, slip casting, and sculpture.
As department director you will:
- Manage the department teaching artists and monitor team.
- Oversee hiring, training, scheduling and communicating with roughly 70 employees, including instructors, teaching assistants and monitors.
- Maintain core curriculum, develop new programming, accept course proposals, and create five course catalogs per year.
- Represent the department in communications with faculty, staff, administration, and students.
- Resolve departmental conflicts.
- Work with the ceramic department Facilities Manager and Outreach Coordinator to maintain open communication and clear studio policies with all department members.
- Review Resident Artist applications and work with Facilities Manager and Outreach Coordinator to interview and select new AiRs each year.
- Familiarity with all offered techniques including wheelthrowing, handbuilding, figure sculpting, tile making, slip casting, and sculpture.
- Experience firing downdraft gas kilns, gas soda kilns and electric kilns.
- Knowledge in clay and glaze preparation, ceramic materials, studio equipment, and all firing techniques.
- Two years or more of teaching experience.
- Strong communication, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- Managerial and administrative experience required.
- BFA or MFA required.
- One free class in any department per session.
- Optional health insurance.
- Discount at Lillstreet Shop & Gallery
Candidates must provide:
- Resume and CV
- Cover Letter
- Link to or PDF with examples of your ceramic work.
- 2 Professional References
Please send these and any questions you may have to email@example.com.
Lillstreet Art Center is an equal opportunity employer promoting diversity and sustaining an inclusive community.