Position: Production Manager
Position Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Artistic Director
Direct Reports: APM, Master Electrician, Head of Sound, Casting Director
Metropolis Performing Arts Centre is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in the heart of downtown Arlington Heights. It houses a 329-seat professional theater, as well as a school of performing arts that includes drama, dance, and music lessons. We are seeking a detailed, experienced leader with excellent communication skills to join our team.
Critical Skills and Responsibilities:
• This role is the central hub of communication for produced works within the Production Department.
• Delegate work to production department and contractors
• Report priorities and needs at senior staff meetings
• Liaise between Executive Director, Artistic Director and Artistic Team
• Oversee and coordinate all aspects of produced work for the company, including all details prior, during and after each show.
• Schedule and manage pre-production timelines and production schedules to maximize efficiency and minimize staff costs
• Oversee the realization of all physical production elements, ensuring these are created / constructed to the highest possible standards and are fit for purpose and within schedule limits
• Set & maintain the annual production department budget and the P&L of each show
• Track weekly expenses of the production team to ensure we stay within budget including billing and receiving of production expenses
• Maintain business accounts with distributors, managing incoming invoices and their designation per production.
• Hire Artistic Team Members/Designers for each show including but not limited to technicians, crew and musicians
• Oversee the recruitment and management of production crew for each show
• Manage and support the theatre’s in-house Technical Staff
• Oversee production payrolls
Physical Space maintenance
• Manage the coordination and allocation of the stage and build space
• Ensure at all times a safe working environment and compliance with all Health &
• Safety and licensing regulations, including liaison with relevant authorities
• With the House Technicians, ensuring that the theatre’s technical equipment, resources and facilities are properly maintained and managed.
Metropolis Performing Arts Centre is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace, and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.