About Free Street For 50 years, Free Street Theater has used theater and public performance as a tool to defy Chicago’s racial and economic segregation, putting it at the forefront of the movement to create affordable, inclusive, and innovative theater in communities across Chicago. We do this by making work by,for, about, with, and in Chicago’s diverse communities. We believe that theater matters, and if it matters, we should find ways to make it accessible and inviting to as many people as possible in both the process and performance.
All of our programs pay artists $15/hour minimum to participate, all of our shows are free or pay-what-you-can, and each of our productions partner with a local activist organization to insure our original plays act as tactics in larger social justice strategies.
About the Opportunity:
Free Street Theater seeks a Production Manager to be an integral part of the 57 Blocks production. Opening in June of 2022, created by our two youth ensembles, this play will take audiences on a bus up and down Ashland Ave, the street that connects our two spaces (Pulaski Park, and The Storyfront in Back of the Yards). This individual will work with directors, designers, and our experienced staff from September 2021, through July 2022. Applicants should have two (2) years professional production management or comparable experience, be proficient in technical theatre practices, have strong communication skills, be able to think creatively, be self-motivated, and have practiced commitment to Free Street’s pillars of joy and justice.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Work in collaboration with directors, designers, production department supervisors, and other departments to realize productions and events in the theatres while maintaining the artistic mission and standards of Free Street Theater.
• Facilitate timely communication and arrange necessary meetings among directors, designers, and production department supervisors as designs are produced while assessing resources, staffing, and scheduling restraints.
• Develop schedules, labor and materials estimates for productions, events, and rentals as needed.
• Manage and maintain production schedules and budgets in collaboration with department supervisors to ensure production goals will be achieved
• Onboard new team members as needed.
• General oversight and interdepartmental coordination for all aspects of the production process including tech, load-ins and load-outs which will require night and weekend hours
• Attend and participate in all technical rehearsals and attend previews in order to coordinate daily goals, set priorities, and ensure a safe, effective and efficient process
•Familiarity with Google Suite, Eventbrite, Zoom.
• Support coordination, and assist designers with purchasing necessary items for production.
• Ensure a safe and supportive working environment in collaboration with production team and production department supervisors.
Free Street Theater is offering a fee of $7,500 for this position, estimating approximately 500 hours over the course of the hiring period.
Free Street Theater is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. Free Street believes in having teams that look like our city, thus BIPOC, AAPI, LGBTQIA+ individuals are highly encouraged to apply.
In lieu of submitting a cover letter and resume, qualified individuals are invited to apply using the google form linked below: