Artist Merchandise Manager - Ravinia Festival
Ravinia is both North America’s longest-running music festival and its most artistically diverse. Over 100 different events by a mix of classical, rock, pop, jazz, R&B, indie, and country performers make up a typical summer season on our two open-air and two indoor stages. Each year the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is featured in six weeks of concerts, many with Chief Conductor Marin Alsop. During the same summer months, the Ravinia Steans Music Institute provides young professional classical and jazz musicians with career-advancing training and concert settings. Offstage and year-round, Ravinia’s Reach Teach Play education programs engage 75,000 children and adults—in schools with little to no music curriculum, in our Chicagoland communities, and at our 36-acre park—in our mission to make music equitably accessible to all.
Ravinia is seeking a Merchandise Manager to aid in the coordination, management, and execution of all large-scale artist merchandise sales throughout the 2022 summer season. This generally includes the merchandise of non-classical artists in genres such as; rock, R&B, pop, country, hip hop, and popular children’s music – approximately 50 concerts in total.
Dates of Employment
Late-May through late-September 2022
The Merchandise Manager is responsible for all aspects of artist merchandise sales at Ravinia, including: coordinating and communicating with visiting artist merch representatives prior to each concert, overseeing the setup and sale of all merchandise during the concert, managing a small staff of Ravinia provided sellers, and executing a post-concert settlement with visiting artist merch representatives.
- Staff management experience
- Strong math skills (addition/subtraction, percentages)
- Prior cash handling experience
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- Available to work outside of normal business hours (position requires extensive nights and weekends)
- Ability to be on your feet for extended periods of time and lift up to 40 pounds
Ideal candidates will also offer some of the following skills/experience:
- Prior customer service or sales experience
- Prior experience using and troubleshooting credit card machines
- Experience working in a fast-paced and customer focused environment
- Foreign language speakers are encouraged to apply
Paid hourly late-May through early June. Weekly salaried (exempt) mid-June through mid-September. Thirty to sixty hours per week based on concert schedule. Some meals provided. Monthly cell phone stipend.
QUALIFIED APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT:
- a cover letter
All hiring is contingent upon receipt of an approved background check. Ravinia employees are required to sign an employment agreement and a confidentiality agreement.
Application Deadline is: May 20
Ravinia embraces diversity in all forms and is committed to providing an equitable and inclusive environment for all staff, musicians, guest artists, audiences, and community members. Ravinia is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of all identities and abilities to apply.