Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time temporary position of Production Assistant for shows in their upcoming 2021-2022 Season. The Production Assistant works as part of the Stage Management team and is responsible for assisting the Production Stage Manager and Assistant Stage Manager in daily operations during pre-production, rehearsals, tech, and run of the show.
We are looking for Production Assistants for the following shows in our upcoming season: 1919, King James, Seagull, and Choir Boy. Dates for these shows are listed below. Candidates may be considered for one or multiple shows. Please indicate in your application if there are any shows you are not available for.
This position reports to the Assistant Production Manager.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Experience or familiarity working in theater, performing arts, events management, or similar field in either a professional or educational setting. Stage Management and/or Run Crew experience is preferred, but not required.
- Excellent communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to interact with a diverse range of collaborators and creative processes.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to follow directions, work independently and multi-task.
- Creative problem solving and a general curiosity/openness to continual learning and growth.
- Commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigrant status.
- Basic computer skills (including familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Dropbox).
- Assist Production Stage Manager and Assistant Stage Manager in daily operations during pre-production, rehearsals, tech, previews, and through performances. Duties may include helping to create Stage Management paperwork, tracking and setting props and costumes, being on book, and taking line notes.
- Setting up and maintaining the rehearsal room and rehearsal supplies.
- Manage and maintain green room hospitality, including making coffee, keeping green room clean, and keeping hospitality supplies stocked.
- This position evolves into a run crew position on the show, with a specific emphasis on props. Run crew duties may include presetting props, managing prop perishables, operating scenery, participating in scene and intermission shifts, and other run crew duties as assigned.
- Support all understudy rehearsals, which includes setting props and helping with scenic shifts, being on book, and running lines with understudies.
All subscription shows rehearse and perform Tuesday-Sundays, with Mondays off. All shows have the potential to extend beyond the listed closing date.
Pre-production: January 18, 2022
First Rehearsal: January 25
Tech Begins: February 19
Opens: March 6
Closing: April 3, 2022
Pre-production: March 22, 2022
First Rehearsal: March 29
Tech Begins: April 23
Opens: May 8
Closing: June 12, 2022
Pre-production: May 10, 2022
First Rehearsal: May 17
Tech Begins: June 11
Opens: June 26
Closes: July 24, 2022
Steppenwolf for Young Adults:
The Steppenwolf for Young Adults (SYA) show rehearses and performs Monday-Saturday, with Sundays off. Performance weeks include morning student matinees Monday-Friday, Friday evening, and Saturday afternoon & evening performances. This show also has the potential to tour to community centers and juvenile justice facilities.
Pre-production: December 27, 2021
First Rehearsal: January 3, 2022
Tech Begins: January 27
Opens: February 5
Closing: March 5, 2022
This is a non-exempt/ temp position. Compensation is $16.50 an hour, with a 4.5-hour minimum call on days with only performances. Hours range on average from 35-50 hours a week, depending on the phase of the production process. The work schedule for this position varies across each production process with a mix of daytime and evening hours as well as overtime required during the rehearsal phase.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by July 15, 2021.