Print Shop Tech
Print Shop Technician - Chicago, IL
Printworks is a digital print shop on the Near West Side of Chicago. Printworks produces a wide variety of printed products including marketing materials, business essentials, and signage. Printworks specializes in small print runs and works predominately in the Arts and Entertainment industry.
Printworks is an independent, locally owned small business founded in 2009 to better serve the small business community. For more information about Printworks, please visit www.chicagoprintworks.com.
Position Activities & Responsibilities
The Print Shop Technician will be responsible for the physical production and finishing of inbound print projects including pre-press manipulation, digital printing press operation, cutting, collating, and finishing. We are looking for a person with a superb eye for detail, strong organizational skills, an inherent sense of curiosity, a desire to learn new skills, and capable of critical thinking and troubleshooting in challenging situations.
Printworks will provide on-the-job training for all technical aspects of this role. The candidate can expect detailed, hands-on instruction with a supervisor throughout the training curriculum. Upon completion of training, the candidate can expect a working knowledge of many aspects of the print industry.
The candidate should enjoy working within a small team environment and should be comfortable working with a variety of technology and applications. This position is primarily a production role, however, the candidate can expect to interact with clients and customers on a regular basis. This position reports to the Print Shop Manager
- Manage the daily output operations of the digital print press
- Loading of paper and other print materials
- Prepress preparation such as file setup, imposition, and proofing
- Safely operate and maintain cutting equipment
- Finish print projects including folding, saddle stitching, creasing, and binding
- Input updates and track status with print management software
- Organize and coordinate production schedule
- Package and organize completed print projects and coordinate shipping
- Maintain print shop in a clean and safe environment
- Clean shop and organize as needed
- Assist with paper inventory and production supplies inventory control
Capabilities & Qualifications
- An extreme eye for detail, printing requires nothing less than perfection
- Motivation and willingness to learn new skills
- Interest and ability to learn how to operate highly technical equipment
- Able to maintain strong, positive, collaborative working relationships within a small team
- Experience in operating Apple desktop computers
- Experience working in design software applications including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and InDesign
- Ability to follow strict safety procedures
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- An innate sense of curiosity
Working at Printworks
Printworks is a casual office environment that values pride in workmanship, enthusiasm for learning, and initiative in problem solving - a place for ideas and discovery.
Printworks is dedicated to its employees and mindful of the value of each and all. Printworks provides an environment that employees desire to be a part of and encourages all to be honest, responsible, and respectful.
Printworks simplifies printing through Service, Speed, and Affordability.
Position Structure & Benefits
- This is a full-time, onsite position; 40 Hours per week; 9AM through 5PM, Monday-Friday
- Covid-19 Vaccination is required
- Wages start at $18.00 per hour
- Benefits Include a 100% Employer sponsored health care plan after 90 day probationary period and one week paid vacation after 6 Months.
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org