Part-Time Substitute Arts Educator
Position: Arts Educator – part-time on-call (substitute)
The Arts Educator facilitates arts programming for Chicago Children’s Museum’s visiting children and their families, ensuring a playful, engaging and educational experience. This person is essential in the creation of a welcoming, safe, and accessible atmosphere for all CCM visitors.
Principal Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides program facilitation of arts programs, based on CCM developed program plans.
- Contributes to organization and maintenance of the Art Studio room and materials. Changes day-of program set-up as needed.
- Collects attendance numbers, surveys, and documentation of programs.
- Fields general museum questions from the public and acts as a museum representative.
- Assists Arts and Culture Team with collection and preparation of materials for programs.
- Contributes to other functions of the arts and culture team in a variety of ways including but not limited to the facilitation and assistance of a variety of programs such as Family Studio Workshops, Kids Create, and offsite programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in art education, fine arts, museum education or comparable experience preferred
- Educational &/or customer-service related experience with children, parents, and families from diverse backgrounds
- Dynamic facilitation skills and a creative and passionate approach to the educational needs of children
- Commitment to child-centered, multi-sensory, open-ended experiences
- Artistic skills (musical, dance, visual art, theater), and or science experience a plus
- Ability to work in team-oriented environment, take direction well and work independently without supervision
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in a variety of situations; demonstrated problem-solving, reliability and flexibility
- Commitment to CCM’s mission, vision, and approach to arts learning
Physical Requirements of the Position
- Ability to move materials and furniture as needed for program set up
Hours: This is a contract, part-time substitute position. Weekday availability and flexibility required. Typical schedule is 1 to 6 shifts a month, shift days to be determined by museum needs. Shifts are typically 4 to 5 hours and may include morning, afternoon and evening shifts scheduled one month prior with on-call possibilities. Some programs are located throughout the Chicago land area.
Interested applicants please submit resume and cover letter to: Sharon Rurangirwa, HR Manager, Chicago Children's Museum, 700 E. Grand Ave., Ste. 127, Chicago, IL 60611 SharonR@Chicagochildrensmuseum.org
CHICAGO CHILDREN’S MUSEUM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER