Part-Time Box Office Associate
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual budget that will exceed $2 million in 2019-20. In December 2018, TimeLine announced the purchase of property located at 5033–5035 North Broadway Avenue in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood. This historic building and neighborhood will be the site of our future home.
Through 22 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, TimeLine’s stage has featured countless facets of that mission. From LGBTQIA+ experiences (The Normal Heart, Boy) to Jewish experiences (A Shayna Maidel, My Name is Asher Lev) to issues of cultures intersecting and intertwining (Chimerica, A Disappearing Number, A Walk in the Woods), TimeLine’s rich production history highlights a mix of perspectives. Our current season has investigated issues of peace, humanity, legacy, and family in Oslo and Rutherford and Son. The final two plays will dig deeper into those themes and more with the Chicago Premiere of James Ijames’ Kill Move Paradise directed by Wardell Julius Clark and the World Premiere of Tyla Abercrumbie’s Relentless directed by Ron OJ Parson.
About the Position
If you are hired as a Box Office Associate at TimeLine Theatre, you will enjoy a part-time (10-20 hours/week), non-exempt, hourly schedule. You will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to our patrons at performances, readings, and over the phone. You must have evening and weekend availability. You will report to the Audience Services Manager.
- Maintain regular box office hours to process phone, mail, internet, and walk-up ticket orders, including single ticket sales, subscription sales, reservations, and exchanges
- Sell concessions and merchandise during pre-show and intermission
- Prepare appropriate box office reports, concessions sales reports and deposits at conclusion of each performance, reconciling any open issues and communicating any specific challenges
- Listen to patron issues and/or concerns and resolve them in a friendly and efficient manner
- Be knowledgeable about the company, our mission, current productions, current season, and upcoming events and work to advance the strategic marketing goals of the theatre
- Maintain a working knowledge of our ticketing system, single ticket and subscription pricing structures, and discounts
- Establish a strong working knowledge of ADA guidelines in support of TimeLine’s Accessibility goals
- Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere through honest, clear communication with patrons, staff, and teammates
- Collaborate with house managers to maintain building and patron safety
- Other duties as assigned
- Year-round, part-time hourly position
- $13.00 per hour
- 10-20 hours/week during our performance schedule (September 10—June 28)
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends, in particular Wednesdays – Sundays, including some holidays
- Prior experience performing high volume customer service-related work
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with cash management
- Must be computer proficient, especially with a PC, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive
- Experience with a database or a ticketing system (specifically PatronManager) is a plus
- You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy, multicultural environment
- You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail
- You feel responsible for the environment around you and seek to improve it with every action
- You get energy from new perspectives
- You maintain a calm, professional demeanor in all public-facing situations
- You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems to your team
- You are punctual and have a strong track record of showing up
We would like you to commit to the 2019-2020 Season, which will run from September 10, 2019 through June 28, 2020. Apply for this position if you are interested in obtaining a foundation in arts management at an award-winning theatre while supporting the theatre’s goal of being one of the best customer experiences in Chicago theatre.
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
- Please email, in one clearly-labeled PDF, a resume and your answers to the short answer questions below. Your email should be to the attention of Kellyn Henthorn, Audience Services Manager, at HR@timelinetheatre.com with the subject line of your email, “Box Office Associate Position.”
- We will reach out to you whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.
- Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, February 4, 2020.
Short Answer Questions – REQUIRED
In addition to submitting your resume, please take the time to answer the following questions. You do not have to write a cover letter for this application, so we ask that you put your efforts into answering these questions in complete, thoughtful sentences (no need to write more than 3-4 sentences per question). Thanks!
1. What is your customer service philosophy? How do you see yourself practicing it at TimeLine Theatre?
Staff members at TimeLine Theatre Company share the core values of the organization:
- COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
- EXCEPTIONAL: Demanding excellence and innovation in everything we do
- FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
- INCLUSIVE: Embracing diversity in all its forms
- INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
- RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
2. Please choose one value from the list above and tell us how you have used that value in a professional setting in the past?
3. How can this position and the skills you’ll learn at TimeLine contribute to your personal or professional goals?
4. How did you find out about this position?