Job Title: Overhire Carpenter
Reports to: Scenic Supervisor
Pay Rate: $23 - $26 per hour (depending on experience)
Dates of employment: May 2022 through September 2022 with possible extension
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Overhire Carpenters will work with the Scenic Supervisor and CST Scenery Staff to install, rig, construct, modify, and maintain the scenic elements of Chicago Shakespeare Theater productions. Overhire Carpenters will work collaboratively to install and remove scenery, load and unload trucks, and prepare CST venues for performance. The ability to work safely and follow instructions from the Scenic Supervisor and other CST management staff is key.
- Facilitate in the installation, modification, maintenance, and disposal of scenic items in CST venues or alternate performance spaces.
- Adhere to all of CSTs safety guidelines.
- Follow instructions and work as a member of a team.
- Lead a small team with assigned tasks
- Load and offload trucks.
- Fabricate or alter scenic elements using a variety of power tools such as drills, saws, and others.
- Work flexibly to support the needs of other departments as required. These responsibilities attempt to characterize major duties and responsibilities of the position, and are subject to change as needs and programs change they are considered neither either inclusive nor exclusive. It is expected that a portion of your job responsibilities will change over time, or based on the needs of a project.
STAFF SUPERVISORY/MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position will be asked to lead small teams in select tasks.
- This position may have to make purchases on company's behalf.
INTERACTION WITH PATRONS AND PUBLIC
- This position has no job responsibilities that require interaction with the public.
- Perform a variety of physical tasks including but not limited to climbing, stooping, pushing, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and pulling.
- Work at height in locations including but not limited to catwalks, grids, ladders, and personnel lifts.
- Perform a variety of physical tasks while wearing safety equipment including, hardhat, and safety glasses.
- Push, pull, lift, and move up to 50 lbs. at times on a repetitive basis.
- Use of manual dexterity in the operation of tools.
- Work up to ten hours in a day with work that is primarily standing.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
- Work hours are generally 7am-4pm, Monday through Friday, but may be scheduled differently depending on need.
- Overtime hours will be necessary at times.
- Evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be necessary at times.
- Position will primarily function at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, IL but will at times work in other locations such as warehouses or offsite performance spaces.
- Work will take place in a variety of environments including but not limited to construction shops, stages, trap rooms, catwalks and grids, warehouses, exposed loading docks, and outdoors.
- Work environment may be dirty, noisy, in low-light, or in a tight and cramped space.
- Work will require exposure to to potentially hazardous materials and equipment.
- Position will regularly be required to wear PPE during work activities.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ability to use basic power and hand tools.
- Knowledge and experience with rough and finish carpentry.
- Valid drivers license.
- Ability to communicate instructions and propose solutions to problems.
- Willingness to learn new skills and techniques.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to clearly and honestly communicate comfort level and experience with the tasks assigned.
- Working knowledge and experience with rigging installation.
- Knowledge of rigging and use of chain motors in a theater setting.