Overhire A/V Tech Support
POSITION: Overhire A/V Tech Support for Her Honor Jane Byrne, Lookingglass Theatre Company
REPORTS TO: Lighting and Video Supervisor, Video Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Temporary, Non-Exempt
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 34th Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company's goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell—changed, charged and empowered.
A member of the video team and reporting to the Lighting and Video Supervisor and the Video Manager the Overhire Tech Support collaborates with the design team and production staff to ensure the design, installation, and operation of video elements for the upcoming production of Her Honor Jane Byrne by J. Nicole Brooks. They also support the Lighting and Video Supervisor, and the Video Manager with the day-to-day upkeep of the theatre facilities’ video and projections in the weeks leading up to show opening.
The Overhire Tech Support will play a key role in creating, managing, and maintaining the working environment in the theatre. They will also work closely with actors, designers, directors, crew and staff to shepherd a production process that is focused on supportive, sustainable, and anti-racist practices.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work collaboratively with the Lighting and Video Supervisor, and the Video Manager to reach a final product which is in-line with design intent while meeting industry standard safety practices, established deadlines, and budgetary parameters.
• Assist with prep, hang, and focus for video elements of Her Honor Jane Byrne.
• Help with load-in and strike of video elements, as assigned
• Serve alongside a crew of 2-10 overhire tech support personnel.
• Aid in the process of filming as assigned.
• Aid in all cabling and troubleshooting practices associated with the video and projections department.
• Aid in the completion of daily notes over the course of a tech and preview process as well as maintain and manage notes lists.
• Maintain a clean and orderly booth and catwalk area
• Adhere to and participate in implementation of Lookingglass’ COVID protocols
• Minimum of 1 year of experience in theatrical projections, video, or a related field, at a collegiate or equivalent level
• Ability to prioritize and offer a high degree of support under dynamic and emergent conditions
• Skill with application and installation of video equipment and accessories.
• Must be comfortable with harness work at heights of up to 25’, repeatedly ascend/descend stairs and ladders and move equipment of up to 50 lbs.
• Be able to work several 4 hour minimum calls in a week.
• Working knowledge of computer systems and audio-visual equipment.
• Current COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory before onboarding, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and granted in accordance with Lookingglass policy.
COMPENSATION:. Compensation is $17.50/hr, subject to applicable state and federal taxes. Work calls are at 4 hour minimums and dates are TBD.
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
Applicants must agree to abide by organization-wide anti-racism guidelines and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much work to do with being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. We believe that our work and lives are infinitely more complex, rewarding, illuminating, and nearer to the truth when we have a wider variety of human experiences in our room, at our table, and on our stage. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company. (https://lookingglasstheatre.org/aeistatement/)
Applicants only apply for the show(s) listed below. This position will work primarily in the month leading up to the run of a show.
Her Honor Jane Byrne
October 13, 2021 – November 14, 2021