Orchestra Operations Manager | Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (CYSO) announces an immediate opening for a full time Operations Manager to start September 1, 2021.
CYSO’s mission is to inspire and cultivate personal excellence through music. We offer a continuum of programs that serve young musicians 6-18 years old through on-site ensembles, neighborhood programming, and concerts serving Chicago Public Schools students and the wider Chicagoland community. Each season, we serve 800 young musicians in weekly rehearsals and another 8,500 students and families through community programming.
CYSO is investing in the future of music and the next generation of leaders. As an organization, we foster a culture of excellence and professionalism among staff. Our team values compassion, collaboration, and an on-going desire to continue to learn as individuals and as an organization. The CYSO staff is passionate about music, young people, education, and equity.
As a full-time employee of CYSO, the Operations Manager represents the organization in a highly professional and respectful manner to constituents including students, parents, board members, staff members, partner organizations, and collaborating presenters. The Operations Manager works primarily with CYSO’s Symphony Orchestra (SO), Philharmonic Orchestra (PO), Jazz Orchestra (JO), Chamber Music (CHM), and Composition Seminar (COMP).
This position reports directly to the Director of Operations, oversees two Operations Assistants, works in collaboration with the Community & Family Engagement Coordinator. The Operations Manager also works in collaboration artistically and administratively with members of the artistic staff including the Music Director and SO Assistant Conductor, Associate Conductor and PO Assistant Conductor, Director of Jazz Orchestra, Director of Chamber Music, Chamber Music and Composition Seminar faculty, and additional artistic staff as needed.
On-site Program Management
- Managing the day-to-day operations for SO, PO, JO, CHM & COMP
- Weekly Rehearsals and sectionals
- Performance/venue logistics
- Semiannual seating auditions
- Concerto Competitions
- Labor Day weekend overnight student retreat
- Music rentals/purchases
- Yearly entrance audition project management for all ensembles
- Overseeing library management and organization for multiple libraries
- Bi-yearly International Touring
- Managing student registration and communicationsInstrument transportation and rentals, including carnet
- Tour chaperoning
- Concert logistics planning and implementation
- Manage consistent & frequent communication with SO, PO JO & Chamber Music Directors for successful weekly rehearsals, as well as season goals
- Active participation in season repertoire programming with the Director of Operations and Artistic staff
- Oversee timely and accurate delivery of repertoire, bowings, part assignments, etc with Operations Assistants
- Coordinate Composition Seminar readings with professional chamber ensembles and full orchestra readings
- Manage semi-annual chamber performances and programs with Director of Chamber Music
- Coordinate Chamber music gigs with community partners and individual requests
- Manage facilities calendar for CYSO rehearsals and events
- Coordinate facility rentals
- Coordinate cleaning company for all CYSO spaces
- Oversee orderly equipment and percussion storage
- Maintain equipment inventories and maintenance
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Meet deadlines
- Enjoy working with youth and families
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Orchestra management experience
- Artistic managements skills
- Knowledge and familiarity with standard and new orchestral repertoire
- Familiarity with orchestra and jazz instruments and percussion
- Access to a personal vehicle and/or valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree, BM/BA in Music preferred
- Lifting and moving of equipment (up to 50 lbs)
Availability to work: Sundays for orchestra rehearsals from 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM, Tuesdays from 12:00 - 8:00 PM for Jazz Rehearsals plus 3 other weekdays between 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, occasional Saturdays during the day and evening for concerts/events
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range - $40,00 - $45,000/year, based on experience
Full time benefits include:
- Health/dental insurance 80% covered;
- Life/STD/LTD insurance;
- 403(b)(7) pension savings plan with employer contribution up to 5% match after one year;
- 10 vacation, 10 PTO, plus 14 holiday days off per year.
Please send a letter of intent and résumé with three references via email to:
Madalyne Maxwell, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please. Please list “CYSO Operations Manager” in the email subject line.
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras’ dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) is inseparable from our commitment to musical excellence. We value the unique role and contribution of every member of our team and recognize the importance of a staff that reflects the experience and background of our students in order to equip them to excel as the next generation of leaders. CYSO staff regularly participate in antiracism, anti-bias, and other EDI training and actively seek candidates for all artistic and administrative roles who are equipped and committed to furthering this work.
CYSO is an equal opportunity employer.