Title: Operations Manager
Supervised by: Director of Operations
Supervises: Operations Assistant, Front Desk PT Staff
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time, Hourly
Start Date: August 2021
WHO WE ARE: SkyART is a permanent fixture in the vibrant cultural landscape of Chicago's South Side. Founded in 2001 with a mission to provide youth with an accessible, safe place to participate in quality visual arts programs at no cost, SkyART continues to fulfill its mission in South Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods, reaching young people through a rich variety of programs. In 2020, SkyART announced the expansion to Chicago’s West Side. Driving its mission, is a deep understanding of the transformative power of art and its capacity to enhance intellectual, emotional, and social development. SkyART is a foundation from which creativity grows and individuals flourish. Participants are invited into a world of imaginative possibilities and connections that go beyond the individual, to positively impact all of the communities where we work and the city as a whole. With art at the center of everything we do, SkyART provides free, safe, open spaces where young people are empowered and connections are made.
Our work is guided by these core concepts:
- Accessibility – we remove barriers – promoting participation in our programs, connection with other institutions and communities, and access to the broader world.
- Responsiveness – we innovate – adapting programs to the evolving context within which we work, fostering civic engagement, cultural democracy, and social wellbeing.
- Totality – we are committed to reaching the whole person – recognizing that every participant has a unique life experience characterized by their own needs, assets, and interests.
- Stability – we are a consistent presence – the “third place” after home and school, where participants develop meaningful relationships and experience a feeling of extended family.
WHAT WE DO: Through interdisciplinary, process-based projects, skill-building workshops, and large-scale collaborations, SkyART encourages critical thinking and inspires creative expression for youth ages 7 to 24. In 2020 SkyArt also began offering Art Therapy for Chicago youth. Using an artist-in-residence model, Teaching Artists and Art Therapists work side by side with participants, in an atmosphere of mutual esteem and shared curiosity, through our dynamic and experimental methodology, the SkyWAY. Our programs include after-school and Saturday programs at our studios; classroom and afterschool programs at partnering schools, and programs ranging from one-day workshops to multi-week courses offered in coordination with organizations such as city parks and libraries, as well as other non-profit program partners.
HOW YOU CONTRIBUTE
The Operations Manager is responsible for the successful execution of processes and procedures to help improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the organization’s functions. This position is responsible for managing day-to-day accounting operations and for managing and maintaining vendor relationships. The ability to multi-task, while maintaining complex schedules and collaborating with other departments, is essential in this position. The ideal candidate is a highly organized and efficient professional with administrative experience and a basic understanding of the tenets of personal finance. This position reports to the Director of Operations.
Manage Facilities Operations - 30%
- Manage building operations including coordination of facility space layout, maintenance, cleaning, daily upkeep and other building logistics
- Improve the existing procedures for outgoing and incoming resources and inventory tracking for office supplies and materials
- Manage requests for space rentals, including contract support
Manage Accounting Function - 25%
- Organize day-to-day accounting, including accounts payable and receivable, budget allocations
- Regularly track budget actuals against established department budgets in collaboration with budget owners, reporting regularly to Director of Operations.
- Monitor general accounting practices, budgeting, and help develop internal accounting controls
- Monitor emerging technology to determine ways to automate the accounting process without sacrificing accuracy and accountability
- Help develop and execute monthly and quarterly accounting reports for the leadership teams
Support Human Resources Function - 15%
- Help facilitate recruitment, hiring and onboarding of staff
- Coordinate individual volunteer and internship program including recruitment, onboarding, training, and scheduling
- Manage front-desk operations and staff including onboarding and scheduling
Support Operational Processes and Improvement - 30%
- Facilitate contract administration and execution
- Execute processes and procedures to help improve the effectiveness and efficiency of organization functions and systems.
- Provide management for coordination of logistics for programs in the space in collaboration with Program Managers
- Coordinate availability of programmatic and organizational materials between program and front desk staff
- Provide oversight to ensure accurate participant data tracking and reporting
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES
- BA or BS Degree required; in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field strongly preferred
- 2+ years operations experience
- 3+ years experience in bookkeeping, budget management, and financial reporting, preferably in a nonprofit, social services or foundation/association environment
- Strong office and administration skills, with Refined ability to delegate responsibilities and provide leadership and training to key personnel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to prepare well-organized reports and
- Possession of key competencies, including conflict management, business negotiation, organization and decision-making
- Ability to work within a small collaborative environment and manage multiple priorities simultaneously. Strong attention to detail required
- Computer proficiency (Mac) in word-processing and data entry (Microsoft Office suite);
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks or similar financial/payroll software program
WHAT WE OFFER:
SkyART offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a competitive salary commensurate with background, experience, and position responsibilities. Depending on the position, in addition to salary, benefits for eligible employees may include:
- Paid time off (PTO) allowance including two weeks vacation, five personal days, and five sick days per year
- Eleven paid holidays and one additional day off for your birthday
- Employee retirement account with up to 3% contribution from SkyART
- Health Insurance benefits with minimal cost paid by employee
HOW YOU APPLY
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ”Operations Manager” in the subject line. Be sure to include your first and last name along with contact information in the body of the email. Do not mail or fax. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
SkyART is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SkyART does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.