Music Moves Instructor
The Old Town School of Folk Music is seeking part-time teaching artists for its summer and fall Music Moves programs.
Typically 2-3 days per week at various Music Moves community partner sites
The Music Moves Teaching Artist develops and delivers music and/or dance programming to elementary and high school students, and occasionally adults, primarily at community partner sites.
We are currently looking for instructors specializing in:
- African Dance
- African Drumming
- Brazilian Dance
- Caribbean Dance
- Hip Hop Dance
- Hip Hop Production / Beat Making
- General Music
- Designs and implements a sequenced and developmentally appropriate curriculum to meet the goals and desired outcomes of the program in coordination with the Music Moves Manager.
- Builds relationships with students and community partner staff and administrators.
- Works with the Music Moves Program Manager to communicate the vision and impact of the program for funding purposes.
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with Music Moves community partner organizations.
- Prepares students for end-of-session performance.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Successful candidates must be motivated, collaborative, and committed to youth and intergenerational exchanges
- Background in playing and teaching on a specific instrument/dance form
- At least one year of experience teaching in a large classroom setting
- Can easily work in history and social context into instrument/dance instruction
- Working knowledge of Spanish/English preferred
- Experience with administrative/organizational tasks including scheduling, tracking activities and reporting is helpful as well as familiarity with Google Suite.
To be considered for this role, please send a resume to email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Old Town School is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Old Town School strives to be an inclusive and equitable organization that is reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This is critical to our success as a community focused organization.
About Old Town School of Folk Music
Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music (“OTSFM”) is the largest community school of the arts in the U.S. and a non-profit organization committed to celebrating American music and global cultures. Founded in 1957, Old Town School provides a wide range of music, dance, and arts courses to people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds. Whatever one's interest, Old Town School provides broad access to more than 700 weekly class offerings, a broad array of private lessons, and over 400 concerts and community events per year.
Old Town School of Folk Music opened its Lincoln Square facility in 1998 and expanded in 2012. The Old Town School operates two campuses located in Chicago's Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park neighborhoods that include world-class concert halls, classrooms, an award-winning music store, and a music resource center. Online classes were introduced in 2020 and students from nearly every state and a dozen countries participated over the course of the pandemic. Children's classes are also held at several suburban satellite locations. More information is available at oldtownschool.org