Music Director / Accompanist for Footloose
The Glencoe Junior High Project (GJHP), a 49-year-old parent-led, nonprofit organization, is currently seeking an experienced candidate to serve as Music Director and Accompanist for its Spring GJHP Musical: Footloose. The GJHP Musical is a no-cut program featuring 40-50 Glencoe 6th-8th graders (lead roles are double cast!). The pay-range for the position is $5000-$6000 (based on experience).
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Teaching all vocal music and accompanying rehearsals and performances of the GJHP production of Footloose, working collaboratively with the Director and GJHP production team.
• Collaborate with Director and GJHP producers to help lead and accompany an Audition Workshop, Auditions and Callbacks. And work with Director to determine Callback and Cast Lists.
• Provide input as needed to Director to develop the production plan and schedule.
• Work with the production team to assemble rehearsal materials for students (as needed).
• Attend all Rehearsals, Performances and Meetings as needed. Important dates are as follows:
o Audition Workshop: Wednesday, January 5, 3:30pm-5:45pm
o Auditions: January 10 + January 11, 3:30pm-5:45pm (stay later as needed to determine callbacks)
o Callbacks: Thursday, January 13, 3:30pm-6:30pm (stay later as needed to discuss casting)
o Parent Meeting: Monday, January 24, 7pm-8pm
o Rehearsals: Mondays, Wednesdays + Thursdays, 3:30pm-5:45pm, January 24-April 21. Extending to 6:15pm beginning in April.
+#61607; No Rehearsals on January 17, February 21, April 14 or March 28-April 3 (Spring Break).
o Weekend Late Morning/Afternoon Rehearsals + Sitzprobe: April 9, 23 + 24 (Times TBD)
o Dress / Tech Rehearsals: Monday, April 25 – Wednesday, April 27, 3:30pm-8pm (Times TBD)
o Performances: April 28 – May 1, 2021 (Thurs @ 7pm, Fri @ 7pm, Sat @ 3pm, Sun @ 1pm), Your Call Time will be approximately 90 minutes prior
• Abstain from doing paid, private teaching or coaching of Glencoe students participating in Footloose.
• Cultivate positive/collaborative relationships with production team, school personnel, students, parents and other volunteers
• Recruit and hire musicians to perform in a pit band for tech week and performances (an additional stipend of $400 - $500 will be provided from GJHP to compensate the band).
• Recruit and suggest on hiring other contracted play employees as needed.
• Demonstrated ability to teach vocal music and accompany full-length musicals (performance or accompaniment samples will be requested)
• Strong sight-reading skills
• Ability to recruit, lead and direct a small pit band
• Experience working in an educational setting (preferably with middle school students)
• Excellent leadership and team building skills
• High energy and flexible in a fast-paced environment
• Positive attitude, common sense, and sound judgment
• Sincere desire to be a positive role model for young artists
• Advanced training in music or education preferred (or comparable experience – minimum of 3 years).
• Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and follow and enforce District 35 + GJHP protocols.
• Chosen candidate must submit to fingerprinting/background check (as required by the District).
Stipend contingent upon credentials and experience (estimated range from $5,000 to $6,000).
Please email a cover letter, resume and samples to email@example.com.
For more information about GJHP visit gjhp.org.