Title: Multimedia Producer
Reports to: Director, Marketing and Communications
Classification: Full-time, exempt, member of Marketing and Communications department
About the Chicago Humanities Festival
The Chicago Humanities Festival is a non-profit year-round festival of conversations, performances, and experiences. For over 30 years, we’ve presented thoughtful programs, performances, and exhibitions, developing deep relationships with Chicago’s cultural, civic, and educational communities, and have attracted in-person audiences of ~50,000 annually (in addition to over 19 million online views of our vast video archive). Presenters have included over a dozen Nobel Laureates, 75+ Pulitzer Prize-winners, 50+ Macarthur Fellows, and 40+ Oscar, Tony and Grammy Award-winners; in other words, artists, and thinkers at the forefront of their fields providing new insights into our human condition through the arts and humanities.
Additional information is available at chicagohumanities.org. In response to the pandemic in 2020, CHF pivoted to hosting events virtually on our YouTube and Zoom platforms. In 2021, we will host around 70 events altogether, virtually to start, while planning for a return to in-person gatherings later this year.
Job Summary and Responsibilities:
The Festival seeks an enthusiastic visual storyteller to join our growing content team. The Multimedia Producer (MP) serves as CHF’s primary video editor and producer and manages marketing projects with superb technical skills and creative vision. The MP will work closely with both the Marketing and Production teams to develop, support, project manage, and execute a range of digital media projects that raise the Festival’s profile among audiences, supporters, partners, presenters, and the general public. In this role, the Multimedia Producer will be both strategic and creative, and produce engaging video and audio content for distribution on a variety of platforms including Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Stitcher, on site at live in-person events, and potential third-party platforms.
This position resides on the Marketing and Communications team, but it will also play an important supporting role for the Production team that oversees livestream and broadcasted digital events. In addition to supporting livestream event production, the Producer’s primary focus will be post-production of Festival live and digital event video and editing and producing program audio for podcast distribution.
- Generate strategies and collaborate with content teams to brainstorm, pitch, project manage, and create video projects that elevate the Festival’s live and digital programming, activate archival materials, showcase the Festival’s relevance and impact in compelling ways, and support audience development and content goals
- Identify and pitch opportunities for trailers, sizzle reels, and other high engagement video using advanced editing and post-production techniques, animation, graphics, music, b-roll and stock footage, and other creative assets to create polished deliverables for multiple platforms and audiences
- Project manage, produce, and edit a mix of short-form videos such as pre-recorded program introductions, cutdowns, compilations, highlight reels, and teaser videos formatted for Youtube or social platforms
- Research, write, and create storyboards/scripts, visual assets, and descriptive copy for original branded video projects
- On occasion and as needed, film original video, social videos, and capture on-site b-roll, when requested for events, indoor and outdoor interviews, and other creative projects
- Implement accessibility best practices, including working with a third-party vendor to manage professional captioning
- Adhere to editorial and brand guidelines to ensure messaging and creative are on-brand, accurate, and relevant
- View and annotate programs (live and virtual) with notes and timecodes to assist with post-production and digital strategies
- Collaborate with content teams to Identify program audio suitable for podcast distribution, in close collaboration with the communications and marketing teams
- Project manage, produce, and edit a series of recorded program audio transposed into podcast form
A Multimedia Producer with innate curiosity, an eye for mission-aligned stories, and motivation to invite deeper understanding through arts and humanities content will be successful in this role. Additional qualifications include:
- 3+ years professional video/digital media editing experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Media Arts, Communications, Broadcast Journalism, Film/Television Production or other related field, or equivalent technical expertise and experience
- Strong production, project management, and editorial skills, extremely organized, detail oriented, and ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills; the ability to produce high-quality content, manage multiple projects simultaneously while meeting established baselines and adhering to strict delivery timelines
- In-depth knowledge of video editing, post-production, and graphic design, including Adobe Premiere and After Effects (or similar); proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, YouTube, Stitcher, and other platforms for video and podcast distribution
- Proficiency with virtual event/webinar/content hosting platforms (broadcast software such as Wirecast Studio Software or OBS, Zoom meetings and webinars, YouTube Studio) with a proven understanding of system integrations to support the complex technology landscape needed for large-scale virtual events
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills with an unrelenting eye for detail
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills; professional maturity and flexible disposition; tact and diplomacy with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and successful working relationships with colleagues
- Entrepreneurial spirit and creative thinker, with a passion for arts and humanities, especially Chicago’s arts and culture communities and local talent
- Experience in photography, editorial writing, and developing creative against a content calendars a plus
- Portfolio demonstrating a strong command of visual storytelling for a mission-driven entity; experience raising organizational profiles with creative and thoughtful strategies is a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a full-time position with a salary range of $45,000–$50,000 based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, 403b retirement plan, a commuter spending plan, flexible working hours, paid time off, paid volunteer days, remote work opportunities, a parental leave plan, and more.
As is true of our entire staff, this role will begin working remotely until we return to our Chicago office in summer or fall 2021. While working remotely, you will have access to a laptop computer and a $25 per pay period ($50/month) stipend to offset home internet and personal phone expenses.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
The Festival is committed to providing a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace, where all employees and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feels valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our departments, programs, and policies. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.
Please email the following materials to Kristen Fallica, Director of Marketing and Communications, at email@example.com, and be sure to put “Multimedia Producer” and your full name in the subject line:
—Brief cover letter (can be the body of email itself or included as attachment)
—Résumé with links to a portfolio and/or relevant clips and content that showcases creative skills
—Contact information for 2-3 professional references
We’ll accept applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled, but we ask that applications are submitted by June 28, 2021. Candidates who are selected for an interview will be notified via email.
Thank you for your interest!
We look forward to reviewing your materials. Email applications only. No phone calls please.