Chicago Artists Coalition helps people connect with opportunities including calls for artists, jobs, grants, and art advising
Interdisciplinary/Modern Dance Teaching Artist for K & 1st
Dance and Theater Lead Teaching Artist for Grades K & 1
- Summary Seeking a Lead Teaching Artist (LTA) to teach Modern Dance theory, Dance Technique basics, and Performing Arts/Public Speaking basics (or another second specialty) to students in Grades K and 1. The LTA sees the same students every day, 5 days a week for a full quarter. The LTA in this position will work closely with our 2nd through 4th Grade LTA to create a coherent curriculum. A Support Teaching Artist is provided in the classroom for all classes.
- Where Prescott Elementary, 1632 W Wrightwood Ave., Chicago, Illinois 60614
- Classes meet 2:45 to 3:45pm, 5 days a week, every day CPS is in session for the full school year. The Lead Teaching Artist will begin shadowing the current LTA once their background check has cleared.
- There are 15 minutes of paid prep per class hour.
- The LTA sees the same students every day for a full quarter.
- There are 2 Kindergarten and 2 1st grade classes. Classes rotate quarterly.
- Other Info:
- This program is in person
- Teaching Artists must be fully vaccinated.
- Please do not apply if you are not comfortable teaching in person.
- Idea Box will be tracking medical safety recommendations and making our own decisions regarding whether to remain in-person independently of Chicago Public Schools. At this time we are planning to run this program in person. This decision may change as the situation develops, and our Teaching Artists will be part of the conversation.
- 1st grade students are already proficient in many of the basics of modern dance theory, design theory, and collaborative development processes.
- The classroom is the school cafeteria. The floor is painted with numbered flowers to create a "seating chart."
- There is another Idea Box Lead TA teaching 2nd through 4th grade classes in the mornings at this school. The K/1st LTA must coordinate curriculum with the upper-grade Lead Teaching Artist.
- The K/1st LTA will begin by shadowing the current LTA for several days before taking over the class.
- This program is in person
- Ideal Qualifications:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience working with students in an urban public school environment.
- A background in both Modern Dance and Theater/Improv/Public Speaking.
- Also accepting applications from Modern Dance instructors with a different secondary focus, such as music, puppetry, theatrical design, etc.
- An interest in joining the Idea Box Teaching Artist community, which includes:
- Regular paid training opportunities
- Interdisciplinary training and sharing
- Learning the Idea Box Creative Development model (don't worry, it's an easy one-page thing)
- A commitment to learning and using trauma-aware, culturally responsive teaching practices.
- Applicants must complete a fingerprint background check immediately upon hire.
- $40/hr for all teaching, meeting, prep, and training hours. Assuming all hours are worked as scheduled, total pay for this program is 222.5 hours (178 teaching and 44.5 prep hours) @ $40/hr = $8,900.00 total for the year.
- Teaching Artists are paid as independent contractors.
- Payment is made monthly by the 10th of the following month.
- To Apply email the following to Emily Leonard at IdeaBoxDirector@gmail.com:
- Cover letter that demonstrates why you would be a good fit for this position
- Resume highlighting your relevant experience.
- (optional) Student work samples.
- (optional) Sample classroom activity outline.
- Confirm your availability for the dates and times of this program (very important!)
- Confirm that you will be able and willing to get a fingerprint background check (at any Accurate Biometrics location) immediately upon hire.