Metal/ Leather Craftsperson
Troscan operates from a 15500 square foot facility on Chicago’s West Side. In addition to an in-house team of woodworkers, finishers, and fabricators, we partner with local independent master craftspeople and expert rural workshops to realize our designs at the highest level. Between our relatively limited production runs and the attention to detail that can only be achieved through close collaboration among a small cadre of like-minded individuals, Troscan produces thoughtfully designed and exceptionally executed products of enduring value.
A well-run shop rides on the full engagement and well-being of every team member. At Troscan, we strive to maintain workplace practices that honor the talents of team members, ensure their safety, and acknowledge their roles in the process.
Fabricators work in the Troscan Workshop both individually and as a team to fabricate fine furniture that sold exclusively to interior designers. The fabricator will be responsible for creating a quality product that meets or exceeds our client’s high standards. Driver’s license required. Interested candidates should contact us and send a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Company: Troscan Design + Furnishings, 400 N Oakley, Chicago, IL 60612
Department: Furniture manufacturing
Position reports to: Production Coordinator
Compensation: Hourly (+ benefits post probationary period, including Vacation plus personal/sick hours and Health Insurance)
Status: Full Time, non-exempt
• Metal fabrication and finishing, welding experience a plus
• Initial inspection of components that will make up final piece
• Upholstery of stretched leather furniture, training provided
• Final furniture assembly and drawer installation
• Final inspection and finish touch up
• Hardware and component assembly
• Keeping an organized, tidy and clean immediate work area while also contributing to general shop maintenance/cleanliness
• Documenting and improving metal finishing processes especially when creating new prototypes or experimental finishes.
• Use table saw and other power tools to make fixtures for furniture building processes
• Keep work area clean and organized. Constantly improve your work area for efficiency.
• Communicate with production coordinator to keep on task and define priorities of items moving through fabrication
• Assist other departments when needed. Help receive and store materials/components delivered to other departments.
• Maintain work order files in your department
• Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
• Communicate with our shipping department to inform them of complete orders ready for crating
• General shop maintenance tasks such as cleaning dust collector
• Excellent communicator. Clear and concise, not afraid to propose a solution to a problem and a willingness to contribute.
• Someone with a strong initiative and thoughtful work ethic.
• Strong initiative with an adaptable attitude to respond to and take action with changing directives
• Diplomatic and professional demeanor, Able to take on a variety of tasks with a can-do attitude.
• 1-2 years minimum experience in carpentry, metal work, use of power tools, and/or fabrication.
• Working familiarity with basic hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
2-5 years experience required; preferably in a similar fabrication setting or department.
• Fork lift experience a plus
• Excellent comprehension abilities-- Ability to read basic shop drawings and check dimensions as well as perform mathematical calculations and measurements.
• High attention to detail and strong organizational abilities.
• Excellent communication and comprehension skills; able to interpret detailed instructions.
• Good time management abilities; self-starter.
• Must be able to lift/move 50-70 lbs
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Must have good health/strength, and stamina.
• Schedule requires regular hours and availability (Monday through Thursday, 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Fridays, 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM). Overtime rare and scheduled in advance.