Metal Finisher / Craftsperson
Company: Troscan Design + Furnishings, 400 N Oakley, Chicago, IL 60612
Department: Furniture manufacturing
Position reports to: Production Coordinator
Compensation: $20+ (+ benefits post probationary period, including Vacation plus personal/sick hours and Health Insurance)
Status: Full Time, non-exempt
• Metal fabrication and finishing, welding experience a plus
• Initial inspection of components that will make up final piece
• Upholstery of stretched leather furniture, training provided
• Final furniture assembly
• Final inspection and finish touch up
• Hardware and component assembly
• Keeping an organized, tidy and clean immediate work area while also contributing to general shop maintenance/cleanliness
• Documenting and improving metal finishing processes especially when creating new prototypes or experimental finishes.
• Use table saw and other power tools to make fixtures for furniture building processes
• Keep work area clean and organized. Constantly improve your work area for efficiency.
• Communicate with production coordinator to keep on task and define priorities of items moving through fabrication
• Assist other departments when needed. Help receive and store materials/components delivered to other departments.
• Maintain work order files in your department
• Work both individually and as part of a team to accomplish projects.
• Communicate with our shipping department to inform them of complete orders ready for crating
• General shop maintenance tasks such as cleaning dust collector
• Excellent communicator. Clear and concise, not afraid to propose a solution to a problem and a willingness to contribute.
• Someone with a strong initiative and thoughtful work ethic.
• Strong initiative with an adaptable attitude to respond to and take action with changing directives
• Diplomatic and professional demeanor, Able to take on a variety of tasks with a can-do attitude.
• 1-2 years minimum experience in carpentry, metal work, use of power tools, and/or fabrication.
• Working familiarity with basic hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
2-5 years experience required; preferably in a similar fabrication setting or department.
• Fork lift experience a plus
• Excellent comprehension abilities-- Ability to read basic shop drawings and check dimensions as well as perform mathematical calculations and measurements.
• High attention to detail and strong organizational abilities.
• Excellent communication and comprehension skills; able to interpret detailed instructions.
• Good time management abilities; self-starter.
• Must be able to lift/move 50-70 lbs
• Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
• Must have good health/strength, and stamina.
• Schedule requires regular hours and availability (Monday through Thursday, 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Fridays, 7:30 AM to 11:30 AM). Overtime rare and scheduled in advance.