Merchandise Manager and Assistant Merchandise Manager
Job Title: Merchandise Manager and Assistant Merchandise Manager
Position Type: Part-time, non-exempt (includes weekend and evening hours)
Reports to: General Manager and Associate General Manager (collectively the “GM Team”)
Compensation: $15 - $17 /hour | appx. 30hrs perweek
Start Date: September 9th, appx. 20+hrs/week, ramping up to 30hrs/week starting October 7th, 2019
About the Project
Hebru Brantley is a Chicago artist known for creating narrative-driven work revolving around his unique characters. Brantley utilizes these characters to address complex ideas around nostalgia, power, and hope.
Hebru Brantley’s Angry Hero and MWM Universe (MWMu), are partnering to create Nevermore Park, a neo-futuristic take on Chicago—where black culture and heroes are at the forefront. Visitors to Nevermore Park will be transported into the fictional hometown of Hebru’s iconic characters: Flyboy and Lil Mama. The immersive art experience spans nearly 6,000 square feet and is scheduled to open in the fall of this year. From the imagination of Hebru Brantley, this experience is the beginning phase of a larger Flyboy Universe franchise being built by MWMu and Angry Hero.
The Merchandise Manager will report to the GM Team and be responsible for all policies, procedures, staff and inventory in relation to Nevermore Park merchandise and the Gift Shop. Ideal candidates for these positions are passionate about expanding Chicago’s cultural experiences, self-motivated, interested in being on the ground floor of a new venture where there is opportunity to shape and grow the role. Ideal candidates are interested in inventory control, storeroom supervision, visual merchandising and management.
Prior to the opening of the immersive art experience, the Merchandise Manager will work closely with the GM Team to set up the operations of the Gift Shop for an organized, smooth, and successful retail experience. This position will gain expert product knowledge while developing and implementing detailed inventory tracking, auditing and storing policies and procedures, including the setup of the POS system. They will also oversee all receiving and stocking, and work hand-in-hand to set up the display needs of the Gift Shop. They will also work with the GM Team to hire and train Gift Shop employees.
During normal operating hours post-opening, the Merchandise Manager will act as the Manager on Duty for the Gift Shop, occasionally acting as the sole staff member during off-peak hours. The Merchandise Manager will also continue to supervise inventory and reporting and provide regular updates to upper management, as well as handle general administrative responsibilities related to the Gift Shop.
We are excited to find candidates for whom Hebru’s work and spirit is meaningful, and who will be driven to help make a smooth, efficient, and fun experience for both audience and fellow staff.
Specific Scope of Work:
- Maintain expert product knowledge
- In conjunction with Management, create and maintain merchandise management records, including inventory, SKU list, merchandise policies, storeroom procedures including receiving, auditing and stocking, as well as opening and closing procedures for the gift shop
- Lead setup for all operational needs of the Gift Shop, including setup of the POS system and installation of display needs
- Supervise Storeroom and work with Management to oversee all receiving, auditing and storing of product both prior to immersive art experience operating hours and throughout the course of the run
- In conjunction with General Management and House Management teams, be responsible for hiring and ongoing management of Gift Shop staff
- Assist visitors and employees in answering special requests and resolve problems as necessary.
- Act as Manager on Duty, and occasionally cashier, for the Merchandise Room during operating hours
- Complete all required reports and administrative processes.
- Perform related duties as assigned by General Management.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong leadership skills and proven experience leading and managing a team or department
- Ability to manage up and manage down
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized and experience managing inventory and tracking products through the shipping process
- Knowledge and experience in visual merchandising
- Ability to analyze sales trends and provide recommendations on product display or volume
- Expert in Excel and experience with accounting or bookkeeping
- Technology minded and willingness to experiment with new POS systems
- A proven ability to meet deadlines
- An interest and passion for art and theatrical work
Nevermore Park, LLC is committed to building a dynamic work environment that celebrates individuality and diversity and the principles that promote inclusive practices. Nevermore Park does not discriminate in policy, practice or employment opportunities on the basis of an individual’s race, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state or local regulations. Individuals from populations underrepresented in the arts/theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (including 2-3 references) to Missi Davis, Associate General Manager: email@example.com.