Marketing/PR Intern - Winter/Spring 2020
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Marketing/PR Intern applications for Winter/Spring. Applications must be received by November 1, 2019.
The Theater's Marketing/PR Department is charged with the development and execution of strategic plans to promote the institutional image and attract attendance to the plays and related programs produced by the Theater.
The department seeks two interns per term, with one specializing in Marketing (promotions, digital and social media advertising, partnerships, audience research) and another in Public Relations (media communication, press releases, photo and video resources, social media campaigns). Marketing/PR Interns will act as an integral member of the Marketing / PR Department, obtaining hands-on, real-world experience in a creative and supportive atmosphere.
While Chicago Shakespeare Theater internships are typically structured as a commitment of 10 weeks between January - May/June 2020, the program is also flexible enough to meet the scheduling needs of the intern. Chicago Shakespeare Theater is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years undergraduate education or equivalent experience in arts administration, marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Goal-oriented self-starter with a demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Detailed-oriented, focused work ethic
- Experience in sales, promotions, or media desirable
- Willingness to mingle with audiences and accommodate visitors
- Computer literate, with previous experience in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated interest in performing arts a plus
- Photography, videography, graphic design, and/or audio editing experience a plus, but not required
- Previous knowledge/experience with social media platforms preferable: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
- Assist in execution of promotions, direct mail and e-marketing projects
- Draft copy for press releases and e-blasts
- Create and manage execution of social media content
- Monitor and report on paid social media and e-marketing campaign performance
- Support coordination of photography, videography and press features
- Assemble press kits
- Assist planning/hosting special events and openings
- Conduct research for press releases, audience expansion and special projects
- Update mailing lists and manage contacts in Tessitura CRM database
- Maintain press clip and photo/video archives
- Manage distribution of promotional materials on and around Navy Pier
- Clean/distill website analytics and data into summary reports
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Educational and career-coaching opportunities, including an intern seminar series that illuminates the workings of a large arts organization
- An in-depth review of the intern’s resume/portfolio with CST staff members
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing
To be considered for a Marketing / PR Internship with Chicago Shakespeare, please prepare the following to upload through our application form:
- A cover letter stating your specific interest(s) in Marketing and/or Public Relations, availability and how you heard about the position. Please state which internship you are interested in: Marketing or Public Relations. You do not need to submit separate applications for the Marketing and Public Relations internship positions if you are interested in both; simply state your preference in the cover letter.
- A current CV or resume
- Two letters of academic and/or professional reference (Please note that if your references would like to submit their letters to Chicago Shakespeare directly, they may do so through the submission form on this page.)
- A writing sample from related academic/professional work—ideally a sample that exemplifies your ability to promote a product, person or service (i.e. press release, e-blast copy, flyer copy)
- If you wish to receive college credit for this internship, please include an outline of your school's requirements
Questions? Contact Chicago Shakespeare’s Marketing / PR Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.