Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Marketing Manager. This position requires a minimum of 3 years of experience in a performing arts organization, or comparable experience. With over 10,000 Subscribers and various package types from traditional subscription packages (Steppenwolf “classic membership”) to Virtual and Flexible memberships (“Black Card” and “RED”), this position drives conversation about the evolution of Steppenwolf’s Subscription offerings and package alternatives and executes our year-round membership campaigns. The Marketing Manager leads our data reporting & analysis for sales and audience trends and acts as the Marketing Department Tessitura expert staying on top of industry trends, identifying new opportunities for use of the CRM, and arranging internal trainings as needed. Experience with JCA’s Revenue Management Application (RMA) a plus.
The Marketing Manager reports to the Senior Marketing Director and supervises the efforts of a Marketing Assistant and Marketing Apprentice/Intern.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Build extractions & lists for segmented and targeted patron communications
- Pull patron analytics
- Serve on the internal cross-departmental Tessitura task force and coordinate with database administrator to capitalize on customization opportunities
Reporting & Analysis
- Track and disseminate accurate and up-to-date attendance and ticket sales data. Current reports include daily sales emails, weekly cumulative sales emails, attendance reports, sales curves, etc.
- Provide analysis and recommendations on revenue goals, sales benchmarks, and forecasting
- Set up and test promo codes for marketing initiatives and report out on performance
- Provide analysis on institutional trends & initiatives (includes patron retention, ROI, demographic research, etc.) and assist other departments on reporting needs; support web, email and e-commerce analysis as needed
- Active member of an internal pricing and inventory management team, currently working with JCA Arts marketing
- Assist on research projects (past examples include focus groups informing the development of new membership products and benefits, and the Black Card/Gen-X research done as part of The Wallace Foundation’s Building Audiences for Sustainability Initiative)
Membership Campaign Promotion Strategy & Execution
- Coordinate, plan and execute year-round marketing campaigns for all areas of subscription/membership (acquisition, renewal, flex, virtual, etc.)
- Develop multi-channel messaging, including copywriting and content direction for direct mailers, emails, website, events, audience services talking points, SMS campaigns, etc.
- Drive conversation and innovation around the evolution of Steppenwolf’s multi-play packages and patron loyalty programs
- Active planning member of the annual Season Preview event and other member events
- Active member of internal website team, with a focus on membership-related website needs
- Point-person with related external consultants (strategy consultants, outbound sales call center, etc.) and close collaborator with members of the Audience Services team developing and executing member communications
Single Ticket and other Campaign Management
- Coordinate, plan and execute marketing campaigns for 2-3 Main Series productions each season. Monitor sales and execute efforts to fill houses and meet single ticket revenue goals. Develop multi-channel messaging, including copywriting and content direction for direct mailers, emails, website, events, audience services talking points, etc.
- Coordinate, plan and execute the marketing campaign for annual Holiday ticket, gift card, or package offering
Direct Mail Strategies
- List trade management and list research
- Research and analysis on response from individual segments, ROI, etc.
- Hiring and supervision of a Marketing Assistant and Marketing Apprentice/Summer Marketing Intern
- Manage budgets under purview
- This position provides general support to the department on an ongoing basis. That assistance may include assisting on departmental archives; scheduling meetings; and other assigned tasks as needed.
Successful candidates will:
- Have a high degree of initiative, confidence and energy to achieve or exceed goals, meet deadlines and manage multiple projects with ease
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in marketing at a professional performing arts institution, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Tessitura, T-Stats, and JCA’s Revenue Management Application (RMA) a plus
- Accuracy in maintaining data records and managing data efficiently
- A polished and professional approach in presenting sales and campaign information
- Familiarity with subscription package promotion and industry trends
- Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by 9/18