Marketing & Development Assistant | Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras (CYSO) announces an immediate opening for a Marketing & Development Assistant to work with our Marketing and Development teams. This is a contract position to run through the CYSO season, September 2021-June 2022.
CYSO’s mission is to inspire and cultivate personal excellence through music. We offer a continuum of programs that serve young musicians 6-18 years old through on-site ensembles, neighborhood programming, and concerts serving Chicago Public Schools students and the wider Chicagoland community. Each season, we serve 800 young musicians in weekly rehearsals and another 8,500 students and families through community programming.
CYSO is investing in the future of music and the next generation of leaders. As an organization, we foster a culture of excellence and professionalism among staff. Our team values compassion, collaboration, and an on-going desire to continue to learn as individuals and as an organization. The CYSO staff is passionate about music, young people, education, and equity.
The Marketing & Development Assistant will have the opportunity to work closely with CYSO’s Director of Marketing and Development Manager, Individual Giving to build essential non-profit management, marketing, and development skills in a fast-paced and supportive working environment. The position is 30 hours per week—generally Monday-Friday, 9:00 am and 5:00 pm—with flexibility in scheduling exact days and times. Position will include in-person work at our office (410 S. Michigan Ave, Chicago) and potentially some remote hours. All CYSO staff members also help staff student concerts and events, so occasional evening and weekend hours are also required.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Creating and editing blog posts, email newsletters, and social media posts to engage CYSO’s audience and improve brand awareness
- Concert and event outreach, including researching potential new audiences and communication with the CYSO community
- Fulfilling and shipping merchandise orders and tracking merchandise inventory
- Assisting with advertiser outreach and follow-up.
- Researching and suggesting potential new advertisers
- Updating publications including concert and event program books
- Merging, printing, and mailing donor acknowledgement letters
- Assist with drafting donor newsletter
- Making thank you phone calls to donors
- Assist with routine data management
- Assisting with data projects including updating contact records and compiling survey resultsUpdating CYSO website content and creating online events
- Organizing office spaces, event supplies, and archive materials
- Staffing concerts and special events, as needed
- Other special projects and administrative tasks as assigned
SCHEDULE AND COMPENSATION
- 30 hours per week at $15-17 per hour, depending on experience
- This is a contract position to run with the CYSO season, September 2021-June 2022, with possibility of extension.
- Monday-Friday work schedule with occasional evenings and weekend hours required. Exact days/times for regular work hours to be mutually agreed upon. Tasks to be completed on a hybrid schedule of in-person and remote work.
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skillsSelf-motivated and able to work independently
- Committed to completing tasks efficiently, accurately and with close attention to detail.
- Customer service-oriented and possess excellent people skills.
- Team player who enjoys a collaborative work environment
- The ability to manage multiple tasks while maintaining a calm, positive attitude and sense of humor
- Willingness to learn new skills and seek out relevant educational resources/opportunities
- Experience with at least some of the following platforms: Google Drive, Adobe Creative Suite, Wordpress, Shopify, Mailchimp, Salesforce, social media platforms, social media scheduling tools
- Background in music and working with youth/families helpful but not mandatory
- Access to a computer and high-speed internet
- Ability to lift 10 lbs
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Abbey Hambright, Director of Marketing
Email preferred. No phone calls, please. Please list “CYSO Marketing & Development Assistant” in email subject line.
Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras’ dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) is inseparable from our commitment to musical excellence. We value the unique role and contribution of every member of our team and recognize the importance of a staff that reflects the experience and background of our students in order to equip them to excel as the next generation of leaders. CYSO staff regularly participate in antiracism, anti-bias, and other EDI training and actively seek candidates for all artistic and administrative roles who are equipped and committed to furthering this work.
CYSO is an equal opportunity employer.