Position & Organization Overview
Merit School of Music is seeking a full-time Marketing Coordinator. The right candidate will have the opportunity to exercise their skills in a wide variety of marketing areas, including campaign management, content creation, social media management, event coordination, and graphic design. We're looking for a creative problem solver who collaborates well with cross-functional teams.
Merit School of Music is committed to building a world in which historically underrepresented groups can attain access to quality music education. Simultaneously, Merit is continually working towards becoming an organization that is truly reflective of the city's demographics and the students we serve.
Responsibilities of the Marketing Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
General Branding and Communications – approx. 40%
• Create storytelling and educational content to engage Merit's target audiences, improve SEO, and increase brand awareness
• Design and implement social media strategy to increase reach and engage various audiences
• Write and design communications content, including parent/alumni newsletter, blogs, and e-books
• Collaborate with Merit faculty, staff, alums, and families to tell impactful stories and support cross-departmental goals
• Coordinate with third-party vendors, such as photographers, printers, promotional products vendors, graphic designers, and artists
• Track, analyze, and continuously improve upon respective marketing activities
Student Recruitment – approx. 40%
• Support the marketing goal of increasing registrations for classes and private lessons
• Develop multi-channel recruitment and lead generation campaigns, including content, graphics, landing pages, email, digital and traditional advertising, direct mail, social media, and events
• Write and design recruitment content, including website content and brochures
• Work with the Student Services and Program departments to continuously improve customer experience and parent satisfaction/retention
Fundraising Support – approx. 20%
• Support marketing goal to increase individual and corporate donations
• Coordinate with the development teams on multi-channel fundraising campaigns
• Promote Merit fundraising events and serve as onsite event staff as necessary
Personal Skills, Attributes, & Qualifications
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in marketing/other relevant field and/or 2+ years experience in marketing/other relevant fields.
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills. Ability to write short and long-form content independently in brand voice and cater to various target audiences.
• Intermediate or advanced experience with at least two top priority marketing tools (marketing automation, CMS, and graphic design tools) and ability to pick up new technology quickly.
• Experience with some of the following specific tools is a plus: Adobe Creative Cloud, Canva, Constant Contact, CoSchedule, Active Campaign, HubSpot, Act-On, WordPress, or Webflow.
• Experience building and optimizing social media campaigns. Social media expertise with at least two of the following tools: Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, TikTok.
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
• Prior nonprofit experience is a plus.
• Willingness to learn new skills and seek out relevant educational resources/opportunities.
• Flexible schedule to attend evening and weekend events/concerts/meetings as necessary.
Merit School of Music requires all employees to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster shots. Please plan accordingly. As mandated by the Governor of Illinois, face masks are required to enter the school. Merit invested heavily in its HVAC system to improve ventilation throughout the building. Work that can be done remotely will continue to occur virtually to limit traffic within the building and prioritize the safety of in-person instruction. This is a hybrid remote/in-person role.
• This position is full-time, overtime-exempt, and will work 37.5 hours each week.
• Please plan to work in person at Merit one to three days per week. (This is subject to changing pandemic conditions. )
• The successful candidate should have some evening and weekend flexibility to assist with performances/recitals and student registration during peak times (March-May & August–October). Occasional Saturday work is necessary during the academic year.
Compensation & Benefits
Merit offers a comprehensive employee benefits package, including the following items:
• Salary range of $40K - $45K based on experience.
• Your first 90 days of employment are considered a probationary period. You will be eligible to participate in Merit's employee benefits package on the first of the month, following 30 days from your hire date. We offer a robust healthcare package including medical (BCBS PPO and HMO options), dental (PPO and HMO), vision care, and voluntary life insurance coverage.
• Paid time off (PTO) beginning at one day per month increases each fiscal year, seven paid holidays, and an additional winter break (approximately one week).
• Complimentary Headspace for Educators subscription with your Merit email address
• Following one year of employment, you will be eligible to invest in Merit's 401(k) plan, including a 3% safe-harbor contribution made by Merit.
Further information on Merit's benefits package and employee policies are available upon request.
To apply, please upload your resume detailing your relevant experience and qualifications for this role using this link. Applications will be accepted through Sunday, January 23, 2022. Materials should be compatible with Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat PDF. Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their materials through Airtable and further guidance and updates about the hiring process by email, with interviews provided for finalists.
ALAANA/BIPOC people, trans, and gender-nonconforming people, and women are encouraged to apply.
For more information about Merit School of Music, please visit www.meritmusic.org.
Merit School of Music is committed to enhancing the diversity of our musical community, recognizing that by providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning environment for our students, we are preparing them for personal and professional success in an increasingly multicultural and global society. The Merit community recognizes that it has a responsibility for creating and sustaining a learning and working environment where difference is valued, and where equity and inclusion are practiced.