Marketing and Communications Manager
Hyde Park Art Center
Marketing & Communications Manager
Hyde Park Art Center seeks a full-time Marketing & Communications Manager to manage and implement the organization’s multifaceted communications strategies. The Art Center is a leading contemporary visual-art institution that uniquely combines the qualities of a community-based organization with those of a nationally-recognized exhibitions program and international residency program.
The successful candidate will be proactive and inquisitive, a skilled storyteller across multiple platforms and audiences. They will be highly organized with an attention to detail. They will demonstrate an interest in contemporary art and show curiosity about a range of programmatic disciplines, including exhibitions, residency, public programs, and education.
Marketing and External Communications (50%)
- Plan, write, and edit weekly e-news mailings;
- Maintain robust social media engagement across multiple platforms;
- Design physical and digital posters, flyers, and other ephemera to promote programs and events;
- Manage semi-annual print newsletter process, including supporting content generation, generating themes, editing text for clarity and voice, and collaborating with external graphic designer and staff to ensure a cohesive and timely finished product;
- Seek out engaging stories across departments (exhibitions, residency, education, and development) and generate related content;
- Support special projects, such as the Art Center’s tri-annual artist-patron matchmaking project, Not Just Another Pretty Face.
Internal Communications & Support (35%)
- Develop, communicate, and manage feasible project timelines and content development processes for staff;
- Develop and maintain consistent website audit process and support staff with regular and timely content updates; update website manual as needed;
- Empower and position the staff to communicate our work effectively to a variety of stakeholders;
- Collaborate closely with staff across departments and help connect the dots among the various programs and priorities;
- Collect, analyze, and report marketing and communications data to department staff as needed.
Media Relations (10%)
- Collaborate with external public relations consulting firm to liaise between consultants and staff, provide support, and help carry out PR plan;
- Represent the Art Center as the on-the-ground contact for press and media engagements; coordinate and/or provide interviews as needed;
- Maintain records of all press hits, both in print and online, and deliver reports to the Board of Directors at quarterly meetings.
Strategic Planning & Long-term Visioning (5%)
- Audit current marketing & communications strategies and provide recommendations for improved synergy and reach;
- Collaborate on creative and practical solutions for long-term marketing and communications strategies;
- Participate in and contribute to the Art Center’s equity work, including staff-wide equity planning processes and racial identity caucusing, with a particular lens on marketing & communications.
- Excellent communication across media and platforms, including e-news, print, social media, fundraising, etc, internally and externally;
- Excellent writing and editing skills across multiple contexts;
- Ability to find and tell compelling stories to multiple audiences;
- Ability to refine, maintain, and adapt institutional voice to a variety of contexts;
- Ability to keep self and others highly organized and on-track across multiple deadlines and concurrent projects;
- Graphic design experience and a critical eye for visual communication required;
- Basic data collection and analysis skills required;
- Basic photography and editing skills required; basic videography and editing skills preferred;
- Wordpress experience strongly preferred;
- Brand development experience is a plus;
- COVID-19 vaccination & booster (if eligible) may be required.
The Marketing & Communications Manager reports to the Deputy Director for Programs & Operations. The position works with many different people in the Art Center community; it is a highly collaborative role that must communicate effectively across departments, including education, exhibitions and residency, public programs, and development/fundraising, as well as external consultants and vendors. The Marketing & Communications Manager also builds and maintains relationships with our diverse creative and professional community, including exhibiting artists, resident artists, students, faculty, and visitors.
Hyde Park Art Center aims to promote and develop a culture within its staff that reflects the values and core principles of equity, inclusion, and access. We recognize that these have become buzzwords, but we believe deeply in the responsibility we have to help change the inequitable landscape of the arts, and we’re committed to the hard work it takes to get there. We believe in intentional risk-taking and experimentation for good and thoughtful reasons, and work collaboratively with one another to ensure alignment and dynamism throughout all we do.
This is a primarily in-person position, with 1-2 remote work days per week. The Marketing & Communications Manager may maintain a flexible schedule to allow for attendance at weekend and evening events, in order to stay connected and abreast of programs. A specific schedule will be determined with the managing supervisor.
Compensation and Benefits
The Marketing & Communications Manager is a full-time permanent position with a starting salary of $52-55,000. Benefits include health, dental and life insurance, 401(k) matching, generous vacation policy, and free art classes in our Oakman Clinton School & Studios.
Applications will be accepted through April 15. Phone interviews will be conducted the week of April 25, or before if applicable. In-person interviews will take place, and work samples will be requested, in early- to mid-May. We hope to extend an offer by the end of May or early June.
To apply: email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Marketing & Communications Manager Application.