Manager of Institutional Giving
About Urban Gateways:
For over 60 years, Urban Gateways has been a catalyst for creative youth voices in our city through multiple initiatives built with a broad network of local and national partnerships. Our mission is to: Engage young people in arts experiences to inspire creativity and impact social change. Our organizational values are the pillars that guide our work and hold us accountable to the people we serve: We support artists; We nurture wonder; We are collaborators; We cultivate inclusion.
The team at Urban Gateways works to overcome social and economic barriers for youth to access Chicago’s artistic and cultural vitality, fostering a more creative and artistically responsive society. Urban Gateways was founded in 1961 to connect youth to the city’s many arts and culture institutions as a vital tool for personal growth and expanded opportunities. Through a range of initiatives, young people acquire and refine artistic skills, demonstrate their talents, engage in critical thinking, explore new possibilities, and contribute to the civic discourse of our community. Urban Gateways conducts Arts Education, Creative Youth Development, and Civic Engagement initiatives across the metro area and in nearly every Chicago ward, with concentrated efforts in South and West side communities. For more information, please visit
Urban Gateways offers an inclusive environment that celebrates collaboration and thinking differently to solve the challenges before us. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels of the population we serve. Urban Gateways is deeply committed to the principles of equity, diversity, and inclusivity. Individuals from groups whose voices are not traditionally represented in arts education spaces are particularly encouraged to apply.
Position: Institutional Giving Manager
Summary: The Institutional Giving Manager works collaboratively with the CDO, Development Manager of Individual Giving, and CEO to fulfill the mission and achieve the organization’s fundraising goals.
Department: Development Department
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Status: Full-time Salaried Exempt, 40 hours per week with occasional evenings/weekends as needed
Salary: Senior Level Position – $55,000-$65,000
Benefits: Urban Gateways provides group health insurance with choices between HMO and PPO, Dental insurance, Life insurance, Long-term Disability, optional employee paid Vision, an employee contributed medical Flexible Savings Account (FSA) option, and an employee contributed 401K retirement plan. Urban Gateways currently has an Unlimited Paid-Time-Off (PTO) policy.
Oversee the full foundation, corporate, and government grants portfolio, including writing, reviewing, and finalizing high quality and compelling written materials for corporate, foundation, and government funders in full collaboration with the CDO and CEO.
- Work closely with CDO and CEO on face-to-face solicitations and stewardship of Program Officers and Family Foundations to strengthen relationships and build collaborative, long-term partnerships.
- In partnership with the CDO and CEO, solicit corporate sponsorship for special events.
- Work closely with the Programs and Communications teams to strengthen foundation partnerships by providing regular updates, tracking progress, ensuring accurate recognition across all aspects of Urban Gateways’ presence and collateral, and arranging site visits.
- Manage the grants calendar and submission processes to complete proposals and report documents for corporate, foundation, and government funders to meet all deadlines, including the packaging, presentation, and follow-up for each request.
- Identify, research, and solicit prospects for new funding opportunities.
- Work with Programs and Finance teams to gather pertinent grant information including budgets, program descriptions, and documentation.
- Assist CDO and Individual Giving Manager (and other departments on occasion) with events, newsletters, meetings, etc. as needed.
- 3-5+ years of professional work experience with a track record of growing corporate, foundation, and government support and experience building a prospect pipeline
- Exceptional people skills including an ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, in a dynamic, engaging way
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and set and meet deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and cool demeanor
- Position requires a high attention to detail, proactive planning, and solid organizational skill
- Must be results-driven, collaborative, supportive, flexible, diplomatic, personable, poised, confident, self-aware, and able to manage confidential information with discretion
- Dedication to addressing inequity across all areas, from internal structures affecting staff, participants, and artists, to the city and systems in which we function
- Possesses the ability to problem solve and think both creatively and critically
- Background check required for employment
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM platforms
- Experience with Chicago’s philanthropic community, particularly in the arts
Salary is $55,00-65,000, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package, with generous time off, paid medical and dental insurance, with flexible work options.
Comments: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Institutional Giving Manager as the subject line. For best consideration, please apply by May 5, 2023. We will make every effort to accommodate candidates’ schedules and needs in all parts of the hiring process.
Location: Urban Gateways staff is partially remote at this time. Staff currently meets in-person once per week. The ideal candidate will reside in the Chicago area for meetings and events as needed and in accordance with current COVID-19 safety protocols.