JOB TITLE: Literary/Dramaturgy Apprentice
LOCATION: 170 N. Dearborn
REPORTING TO: Resident Dramaturg and Literary and New Works Manager
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The Literary/Dramaturgy Apprenticeship is a full time, salaried, one-year position within the Goodman’s artistic department designed for an individual with a specific and demonstrated interest in a career in new play development and dramaturgy. The Apprentice will work with the Goodman’s Resident Dramaturg and Literary and New Works Manager on the Goodman’s new play development programming and full productions. They will also provide administrative support to the literary/dramaturgy staff.
• Provide administrative support for the literary department and new play development initiatives.
• Participate in selection, curation, and administration of the Playwrights Unit, Future Labs, and New Stages Festival programming.
• Function as a production assistant for developmental readings.
• Function as a script assistant in rehearsals for full productions.
• Read, evaluate, and respond to script submissions.
• Plan and assist with audience engagement efforts (including post-show discussions and artist conversations).
• Assist with dramaturgical research.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s or associate’s degree in theatre or a related field, or equivalent experience.
• Interest and experience in developing new plays.
• Meaningful experience in at least one of the following areas: dramaturgy, playwriting, directing, producing, stage management, arts administration.
• Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively.
• Energy, focus, and ability to prioritize tasks in the bustling environment of a regional theater.
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples. Acceptable writing samples include: essays pertaining to theater, script evaluations, theater reviews, dramaturgical program notes, or comparable work. Apply by clicking here and selecting the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page. You will be prompted to upload a resume and cover letter; please include your two writing samples in the same document as your cover letter. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.