Library Makerspace--Full-Time Innovation Services Technician
Library Makerspace--Innovation Services Technician
Are you creative with a passion for technology? Do you like making things? Does the idea of working with others teaching Makerspace technology sound like fun?
The Glenview Public Library enriches, educates, and inspires our diverse community by connecting people to the world of information and ideas. Our work focuses on expanding engagement, visibility, and access with new initiatives and services to improve your Library experience. The Glenview Public Library is dedicated to maintaining a service-focused culture based on kindness and respect where all people feel welcome.
We are seeking a creative, excited person to be a part of a team that fosters “making” and creativity among library patrons and the community individual to serve as our Innovation Technician. This is a Full-Time (37.5 hours/week) position.
The Innovation Services Technician creates a patron friendly environment while providing library users with access to, training and instruction on Innovation Services equipment, such as laser cutting 3D printing, sewing, design, electronics, programming, audio, video, and photo production and editing and is an important contributor to the Innovation Services team. Specific responsibilities/functions will be assigned by the Department Head of Innovation Services on the basis of experience, skills, and specific needs of the department.
The pay range for this position is $16.50/hour to $20.00/hour depending on qualifications.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, life insurance, IMRF pension program, paid sick and vacation, as well as other related benefits.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities of this position include:
• Instructs and aids library users in use of makerspace equipment and associated software; provides both one-on-one assistance and group instruction
• Creates a patron-friendly library environment by demonstrating a high level of customer service
• Greets and interacts with library patrons in a courteous, professional, friendly, and timely manner
• Understands and enforces library policies and procedures while safeguarding intellectual freedom and patron policy
• Plans, designs, promotes, presents, and evaluates makerspace programs for patrons of all ages
• Troubleshoots all equipment in the makerspace, performing simple repairs, as applicable
• Communicates problems to the Supervisor in a timely and efficient manner
• Actively contributes to the success of the Innovation Services Department team
• Works with Department Manager in pursuing continuing education opportunities pertinent to the job
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or GED required; some technical training preferred
• Minimum of one year work experience with maker equipment
• Possession of a valid Illinois Driver’s License, access to a personal vehicle, and proof of current automobile insurance required
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, proficiency with Mac and Windows computers and peripherals (printers, scanners, external hard drives)
Working knowledge of two or more of the following technologies: Laser cutting and engraving, 3D printing, digital design software, fiber arts, CNC fabrication and other Makerspace technologies
Ability to learn and instruct patrons on new and emerging technologies
Hands-on knowledge of a variety of technologies such as CAD software, office productivity tools, internet resources, fiber arts, robotics, eBooks, personal devices, and emerging technologies
Adaptable to changes in existing practices, library routines, and workflows.
Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain and foster cooperative, courteous working relationships with a multicultural/multigenerational staff and patron population.
Excellent oral/written communication skills
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and portfolio demonstrating your experience with photography, and digital design to email@example.com.
Please reference position code IS FT Istech 2022.
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at the Glenview Public Library are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, religion, actual or perceived sex, gender, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sexual orientation or sexual preference, gender identity, age, marital status, pregnancy status, physical or mental disability (unrelated to an individual's ability to perform the essential functions of the job either with or without a reasonable accommodation), association with a person with a disability, unfavorable discharge from military service or military status, genetic information, or any other category protected by state, federal or local law.