Lead Facilities Technician
LOCATION: Goodman Theatre: 170 N. Dearborn Street – Chicago, IL 60601
REPORTING TO: Facilities Operations Supervisor
SALARY: $52,500 -$60,000
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The Lead Facilities Technician is responsible for supporting the built environment for all employees, artists and patrons through the effective, hands-on implementation of the building maintenance program. This individual directly interacts with Theatre employees, consultants, and outside vendors in support of the Goodman’s artistic work. The work schedule for this position is primarily daytime hours, Monday-Friday. This is a full-time position, with benefits.
• Act as 1st level of response for building and grounds maintenance and repair needs
• Create the schedule for the facilities technicians, ensuring adequate coverage for building operations
• Oversee the daily workflow and task completion of the facilities technicians
• Create, complete and delegate work requests
• Conduct regular facilities inspections to proactively identify deficiencies
• Monitor temperatures and equipment status through the building automation system
• Perform light maintenance & operations of building systems
• Assist facilities team in maintaining an inventory of supplies and materials
• Provide detailed documentation, reporting and record keeping of all maintenance activities
• Input and upload data to the computerized maintenance management system
• Collaborate with building service vendors; provide assistance as needed
• Provide project support for facilities management team
• Participates in the on-call rotation for after-hours building emergencies
• Assist with event set-up and preparation
• Perform basic snow and ice removal as needed
• Practice workplace safety and utilize personal protective equipment
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• A minimum of 3 years of experience in commercial building maintenance and operations
• Industry training, certifications and licenses preferred: (SMT, SMA, BOC, CFC); OSHA safety training
• Experience and knowledge in basic commercial building maintenance, repair, and operations
• Knowledge of common industry practices including: safety standards and quality control
• Proven problem solving and organizational skills
• Cooperative and collaborative with excellent customer service skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to supervise, motivate and mentor personnel
• Ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with key stakeholders
• Agreeable to flexible work hours including occasional evening/weekend shifts, and on-call rotation
• MS Office, BAS and CMMS software experience required
• Theatre or Live Entertainment Venue experience beneficial
• Capable of performing physical labor, maneuvering 60 lbs. or more, negotiating ladders, working from heights of up to 30 feet, and working from unusual angles to fix equipment
• Ability to read and interpret building plans, general periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, and 401K.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by clicking here and going to the "Apply to this job" button at the bottom of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.