Lead Designer | Steppenwolf Theatre Company
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Lead Designer to head its graphic design team. This individual must be a self-motivated designer with intelligent design skills and the ability to manage freelancers and printer partnerships. This position works on a wide variety of both print and digital materials, in support of marketing campaigns, institutional branding, fundraising campaigns, education materials and other efforts. A successful candidate will be organized, dependable, knowledgeable, detail-oriented, able to work both autonomously and as part of a team and possess the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. The Lead Designer is responsible for working with the Creative Director on a wide range of projects across the organization. This position reports to the Creative Director.
- Maintain Brand Standards and aesthetics as set by Creative Director
- Manage and delegate high volumes of design traffic to support staff
- Create design solutions for print, e-mail, web and signage
- Design program books for the theatre, working with Marketing Assistant
- Work in conjunction with other departments on collaborative projects
- Prepare files for printing and publishing, gain bids from vendors, review proofs
- Interface with merchants, creative, pre-press, and Project Managers to ensure design approvals
- Partner with Project Managers in meeting deadlines and review of layouts
- Manage deadlines and workload to ensure on-time delivery of all project
- Manage print vendors to ensure timely completion
- Design and coordinate web layout and updates
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Displays eagerness, innovation and self-motivation in design approach
- 5 years of design experience for agencies, freelance, non-profits, arts organizations
- Well-developed typography skills (with knowledge of visual and communication hierarchies)
- Strong conceptual and brainstorming skills
- Strong organization and self-motivation skills
- Excellent verbal and collaborative skills
- Proficient with Mac OS and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop proficiency and efficiency required)
- Interest/knowledge in HTML5 and Web development
- Ability to work in a timely manner on multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Experience, knowledge, or interest in theatre and/or other performing or visual arts
- Ability to prepare final mechanical files for release to printer
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is the nation’s premier ensemble theater. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble represents a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors and playwrights. Thrilling and powerful productions from Balm in Gilead to August: Osage County—and accolades that include the National Medal of Arts and 12 Tony Awards— have made the theater legendary. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Anna D. Shapiro is the Artistic Director and David Schmitz is the Executive Director.
For additional information, visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolfthtr and instagram.com/steppenwolfthtr.
Salary range: $42,000 - $50,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program, comp tickets, and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by October 11, 2019.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE