Lead Archivist Contractor
Arts of Life, a 501C3 nonprofit, advances the creative arts community by providing artists with intellectual and developmental disabilities a collective space to expand their practice and strengthen their leadership. Founded in 2000, Arts of Life is realizing its vision of a working, person-centric, artistic community that provides a work environment of equality. Today, we represent over 60 artists at two professional art studio locations in Chicago and Glenview, IL.
Arts of Life is hiring a lead archivist for our 25th Anniversary Archiving Project. This is a contract, full-time position responsible for developing, implementing, maintaining, and growing systems to collect, preserve, and share Arts of Life’s analog and digital collections.
What You’ll Need to be Successful
- Bachelor’s or Graduate degree in appropriate discipline.
- Proven work experience in photo documentation, cataloging, and management of electronic and physical collections, 4 or more years.
- Knowledge of art handling, storage, and archival best practices, 4 or more years
- Skilled in using DSLR cameras, lighting equipment, image editing software, and scanners.
- Excellent project management, multitasking, and communication skills to create clear project plans, clearly articulate needs, provide benchmark updates, and meet deadlines.
- Outstanding analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Driven, self-motivated disposition.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, with minimal guidance.
- Proficiency with macOS
- Experience with ArtLogic (preferred but not required).
- Ability to lift/carry up to 44 lbs. and occasionally ascend/descend a ladder.
- $25/hr for 40 hrs/week. This contract term is for 44 weeks.
This is a full-time, contracted, onsite position. Generally a weekday position during daytime hours.
Arts of Life is proud to foster a culture of collaboration and respect. We strive to function under a relatively flat hierarchy, with collective decision-making at the heart of our initiatives. Work is typically done in small teams, and Leadership is enthusiastically accessible to all employees. Work-life balance is highly encouraged, and employees are welcome to use the studio facilities after hours and on weekends. Please note that this is only a contract position.
Arts of Life is firmly committed to building a diverse team that is reflective of the communities we serve. We value your unique experiences and strongly encourage People of the Global Majority, LGBTQIA+ individuals, women, trans, and non-binary people, people with disabilities, system-impacted people, veterans, and people of all ages to apply.
Job Type: Independent ContractorLocation: Chicago Studio