Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill Director
The Director is responsible for staging script and music as a celebratory, emotionally complex production. They are also responsible for casting, contributing to the rehearsal schedule, and supervision/management of rehearsals. The Director will work closely with the Stage Manager, Production Manager, and artistic team to realize the artistic vision of the show. Please note: Metropolis actively seeks a Black, female-identifying director to mount this production of a historical Black female experience.
- At least 2 years Directing experience
- The ability to work independently and in a collaborative, dialectical manner
- The ability to give precise, constructive feedback
- Active listening skills
- The ability to moderate, express concerns, and ask for assistance
- Additional experience in theatrical performance, such as particular acting techniques, is a plus but not a requirement
- Meet with the Production Manager and Associate Artistic Director to determine the needs of the production
- Be responsible for casting, with the assistance of Casting Director
- Be responsible for rehearsing, adapting script and music, as needed, with the assistance of the Music Director
- Attend production meetings, create and/or revise rehearsal schedules, attend rehearsals, technical rehearsals, dress rehearsals, understudy rehearsals, and preview performances
- Meet with creative staff and designers to determine appropriate design elements within the given design budgets.
- Ensure the quality of the production after opening by attending understudy or cast rehearsals as needed.
- Be available for photo calls, interviews, and other press and promotional activities that may be reasonably requested by the Producer.
Metropolis Performing Arts Centre is an inclusive workplace and welcomes theatre artists of diverse, intersectional life experiences and perspectives, economic and cultural backgrounds, and abilities. Please note that for this production, we are actively seeking Black theatre artists to collaborate on a show about Black American historical experiences.
The health and safety of our performers, crew, staff, and patrons are our first priority. As such, prior to any in-person callbacks, rehearsals, and performances, performers, crew, and staff will need to be fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO authorized vaccine with some exceptions. Under the policy, performers, crew, and staff must show proof of vaccination with a matching I.D. at their time of entry into the Metropolis Theatre complex spaces.
TO APPLY please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.