IMSS Teen Curatorial Assistant
The International Museum of Surgical Science is looking for two part-time paid Teen Curatorial Assistants to work from May 27 – August 30, 2019.
$13/hr, 15 hours (2 days) per week, depending on schedule
Working directly with International Museum of Surgical Science staff, the Teen Curatorial Assistants will have the chance to apprentice the various duties involved in curating a contemporary arts program. The position will encapsulate both administrative and creative skills and is designed to include insights into curatorial projects at all stages.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Teen Curatorial Assistants will assist with:
- Coordinating project schedules
- Communicating with artists
- Assisting in gallery design
- Producing marketing materials
- Exhibition installation and deinstallation
- Staffing exhibition programming such as opening receptions and artist talks
- Conducting visitor surveys and gathering data
- Producing educational material for social media
- Sharing their experiences and research by writing posts for the Museum Blog
- Performing other duties as necessary
- Motivated, organized and detail-oriented
- Able to work as a team member and independently
- Excellent communication, research and writing skills
- Able to multitask in a dynamic environment
- Interest in museums a plus
- Passion for arts and culture
These positions are open to high school students from those about to enter freshman year to juniors entering senior year.
The International Museum of Surgical Science does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
Applicants must be willing to commit at least 15 hours per week during the position period.
ASTC membership, which provides reduced or free admission to more than 200 museums worldwide for one year; free participation in Museum events and programs; discounts in the Museum Store; and opportunities to work closely with staff and interns in every department of the Museum.
Required Internship Application Materials:
- A Cover Letter that must address the following 3 prompts:
- What is your interest in this position?
- What in particular interests you about the International Museum of Surgical Science’s exhibitions and collections?
- In what ways do you hope to benefit from being a Teen Curatorial Assistant?
- 3 References
- For each reference, please include (1) Name (2) Relationship to Applicant (3) Years Acquainted and (4) E-mail Address & Telephone Number
Please send application materials as attachments to Assistant Manager of Education and Programming, Catherine White, at Catherine@imss.org with the subject line: Teen Curatorial Assistant Application.
This program is partially supported by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.