**Immediate - MUSIC Teaching Artists - South & West Chicago
The BAC Outreach Department is actively seeking Music Teaching Artists for in-person classes with Chicago Public Schools and other organizational partners during the 21-22 school year.
As part of the Beverly Arts Center’s mission, our Outreach department offers tailored Arts-enrichment programming to Chicago area public and private schools throughout the city and surrounding suburbs - especially the south and west sides - before-school, in-school, and after-school. The Outreach department and its ensemble of professional Teaching Artists also serve homeschool groups, community organizations, libraries, churches, and more, offering programming in all artistic disciplines in addition to coordinating field trips and special events.
Teaching Artist should be proficient in teaching general music courses to students Pre-K - 8th grade, following the Illinois Arts Standards for Music. Specialty classes in music histories and genres and instrument lessons may also be taught during after school hours.
Teaching Artists must have reliable transportation and be willing and able to teach in person at CPS schools, especially located on the south and west sides of Chicago.
- Curriculum and lesson plans for weekly classes that might meet one to five times a week for up to 10 weeks
- Teaching students grade-appropriate artistic curriculum specific to the Teaching Artist's discipline, documenting the creation process and any finished student work or culminating events
- Arriving on time and prepared for class assignments.
- Working within BAC, Chicago Public Schools, and other outside partner policies and procedures
- Being observed in classrooms intermittently by Outreach Manager performing scheduled site visits, as well as school/organizational personnel on a random basis.
- Returning completed contracts and bi-weekly Timesheets to the department manager, meeting all deadlines.
- Attending quarterly departmental meetings and paid professional development sessions with fellow Teaching Artists at the BAC, led by Outreach department staff
- Submitting to fingerprinting and background checks for each partnering organization to be cleared before placement in applicable classrooms.
- Adhering to specific contractual protocols on attendance and timeliness, including the utilization of a roster listing fellow BAC Teaching Artists for isolated substitution needs.
- Communicating clearly and effectively in a timely matter
- Experience and Education: Applicants should be practicing artists with a portfolio or body of work to present in conjunction with a resume detailing any relevant teaching experience or previous work with young people (Grades Pre-K-12th, per experience). A minimum of 2 years of teaching experience is strongly preferred.
- A High School diploma is required, and a Bachelor’s or advanced degree is preferred; compensation is commensurate with education level and teaching experience.
- All candidates will be considered primarily on the basis of experience, reliability, accountability, and integrity combined with a passion for bringing enriching artistic programs to the community at large.
- Teaching Artists are strongly motivated independent contractors who demonstrate tangible classroom management skills and an ability to properly communicate with students.
- Transparent availability, scheduling flexibility and strong communication skills are required assets for this position.
- As representatives of the Beverly Arts Center, artists are expected to be professional, prepared, and prompt for all contracted classes. BAC reserves the right to terminate Teachers from the active roster at any time if these standards are not upheld.
The Beverly Arts Center is dedicated to inclusion, equity, and diversity. We strongly encourage BIPOC Teaching Artists to apply.
Submit Cover Letter, Resume, and three email addresses of references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only emailed applications will be considered.