House/Stage Manager (PT)
Chicago’s Old Town School of Folk Music is the largest community school of the arts in the U.S. and a non-profit organization committed to celebrating American music and global cultures. Founded in 1957, the Old Town School of Folk Music provides a wide range of music, dance, and arts courses to people of all ages, abilities, and backgrounds. Whatever one’s interest, the Old Town School provides broad access to more than 700 accredited weekly class offerings, private lessons, and over 400 concerts and community events per year both in-person and online.
The Old Town School of Folk Music seeks a part-time House/Stage Manager to manage facilities, volunteers, and attendees from beginning to end of shows. Duties may vary from night to night. May serve as Stage Manager for events as assigned, including preparations, supervision and troubleshooting during the event as well as wrapping up afterwards.
Examples of Duties:
- Oversee facility preparation, including hall, lobby, dressing room(s), and any unique advance requests or needs.
- Manage volunteers, including check in, assignments, and distribution of any equipment or materials.
- Check in with Head Volunteer throughout event.
- May be responsible for cash handling and tracking.
- Help sell tickets and troubleshoot box office as needed.
- Prepare building for closing after event.
- May greet artists at load in and help with set up, general hospitality and parking.
- Keep event running on time, check guest lists and handle other needs.
- May act as emcee for the event.
- May be responsible for ensuring appropriate payment to artists and engineers.
Event production experience required.
The abilities to think on one's feet, to be decisive and adapt to change are essential.
Must be available to work a minimum of four shifts per month of five to seven hours at a time.
Must be able to work night and weekend hours.
Must be able to use stairs and lift 30 lbs.
Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers preferred.
Discounts at the School and some voluntary benefits are available for part-time employees.
If interested and qualified, please send resume to email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Old Town School is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Old Town School strives to be an inclusive and equitable organization that is reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago. We seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. This is critical to our success as a community focused organization.