House Manager (Ravinia Festival)
The House Manager is a full-time, exempt position reporting directly to the Chief Guest Experience Officer. This position supports the front-of-house team and directly oversees a team of Lead Ushers, Usher Supervisors, and seasonal ushers. Key responsibilities include upholding Ravinia's values and organizational culture by fostering an extraordinary guest experience and overseeing front-of-house operations at concerts and events. The ideal candidate has a passion for the arts and working with people, is highly organized, has exceptional communication skills, and has a proven background of leadership within the arts, customer service, and front-of-house management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage all front-of-house (FOH) operations at Ravinia for concerts and events taking place in the Pavilion, Martin Theatre, Bennett Gordon Hall, and throughout the park
- Provide an extraordinary guest experience by fostering an environment that is welcoming and inclusive for everyone, embodying Ravinia’s values and culture
- Recruit, hire, schedule, and train a FOH team that reaches nearly 100 employees during the summer season
- Lead and manage the FOH team through concerts and events from beginning to end, handling escalated customer situations, operational challenges that occur in the venues, and responding effectively and in a timely manner to all situations
- Develop detailed onboarding and training materials for the FOH team in collaboration with the Customer Service Manager and Ravinia’s People & Culture team
- Prepare each space and make sure that it is ready for guests to arrive
- Work closely with the Manager of Safety and Security regarding concert protocols, guest safety and emergency response procedures for each event
- Be an active member of Ravinia’s Emergency Response Team
- Create and oversee daily staff checklists to ensure that all tasks and duties are completed in a timely manner
- Be well-versed in language, policies and procedures relating to accessibility and accommodations so that we meet and exceed guest expectations regularly
- Identify strategies and make recommendations in collaboration with the Chief Guest Experience Officer for improvements to policies and operations that will result in an enhanced guest experience
- Facilitate communication between FOH and the production and artistic teams to ensure that concerts run smoothly and that critical information is being communicated to staff and guests
- Communicate frequently with the ticket operations team on seating notes and requests for the evening, in addition to troubleshooting any issues that may arise with tickets
- Work directly with all departments on any special requests or important details regarding guests attending concerts or events
- Create and manage daily show reports in coordination with other key departments
- Track all venue requests or guest resolution needs and follow up with the relevant colleagues
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to effectively lead large diverse teams in fast-paced environments
- Passionate about providing an extraordinary guest experience
- Ability to remain calm and courteous dealing with escalated customer concerns and time-sensitive changes to venue logistics
- Confident in one’s own problem-solving abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Proven ability to think strategically and make decisions quickly, with a self-starting attitude and proactive approach
- Proficiency in Google Workspace, CRM software, and project management software is a plus
- Ability to work extensive nights and weekends, especially during the summer season
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time and lift up to 25 pounds in all outdoor weather conditions
Education and Experience
- Minimum five years working in the arts, preferably in front of house operations
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Extensive, proven and successful background in customer service
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Active supporter and participant in diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives
What you can expect:
The House Manager is a vital member of the Guest Experience department. You will be asked to work a flexible schedule centered around the concerts and events throughout the year. During the height of the summer concert season, typically June through September, the schedule will primarily be afternoon through late evening hours, including most weekends and some holidays. The summer season requires extended hours, and you will be walking and standing for a significant amount of time, with a large portion of those hours working outdoors in all weather conditions. The other months of the year have fewer events but will still include some nights and weekends. There will be adequate time for planning and preparation for the next season during these months.
- Full-Time Salaried / In-person: You will be in-person at Ravinia, especially before, during and after events. On days without events, some remote work may be possible.
- Exciting Live Music Environment: In this role, you will be part of Ravinia’s exciting and dynamic concert experience! You will get to enjoy our wide range of concerts first-hand and you will play an essential role in making the events memorable for all guests.
- Inclusive, Collaborative and Innovative: You will be part of a team that values all voices, creativity and teamwork. You will participate in several collaborative groups who meet regularly to share ideas, strategize and reflect as you explore new ways to enhance the Ravinia experience for all.
- Professional Development: You will have the opportunity to pursue continued professional development opportunities.
Benefits: Excellent health and welfare benefits, including comprehensive time off, generous retirement savings plans, learning and mentorship opportunities, access to various staff working groups, and a general admission season pass to Ravinia events.
Office Location: Ravinia Administrative Office, 418 Sheridan Rd. Highland Park, IL
Apply Here: https://smrtr.io/j94jf
Qualified candidates should upload both a cover letter and a resume.
Salary Range: $65-75K
Ravinia is an Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, Ravinia strongly believes that diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. We strive to create and sustain an equitable and inclusive environment for all our employees. Ravinia does not discriminate on the