House Manager- Goodman Theatre
JOB TITLE: House Manager
REPORTS TO: Front of House Director
FLSA Status: Part-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
HOURLY RATE: $20.00
LOCATION: 170 N. Dearborn St.
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The House Manager is responsible for overseeing the operation of all performances and special events for Goodman Theatre’s theatrical and event venues. While working closely with the Front of House Director, they will lead and support Front of House staff to provide a smooth and superior customer service experience to all Goodman visitors. This position supervises hourly Front of House staff that work as Goodman Theatre bartenders, gift store associates, and other Front of House roles as needed. In addition, this role ensures the safety of all guests during pre-performance, performance, and patron egress. This is a part-time, hourly position, with regularly required evening and weekend hours.
- Serve as the main representative for the Front of House Department and Goodman Theatre at all performances, offering superb customer service to all who enter the building
- Supervise and support the Front of House staff for assigned performances and internal/external rentals and other special events
- Prepare the theatres and lobby spaces prior to each performance/event
- Ensure cleanliness and timely maintenance of all Front of House areas prior to patron arrival times
- Maintain the supply of playbills, stuffers, and additional marketing materials for patrons and visitors as designated by the Front of House Director
- Oversee daily distribution/reconciliation of cash banks (bars and gift store) and credit card tips for FOH staff
- Ensure that Goodman patrons have a superior experience at the theatre
- Assist with routine inventory tracking for the Goodman Theatre Gift Store
- Perform other FOH roles as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience working in customer service positions, ideally in the special events or performing arts fields
- Excellent customer service skills
- May be required to stand for extended periods of time during ingress/egress periods and run of performances
- Capable of working and thinking independently
- Ability to communicate and work effectively in a team setting
- Experience working with P.O.S systems (Toast preferred)
- May be asked to lift program boxes (approx. 40lbs)
- Must be able to submit availability for monthly scheduling and can work a flexible schedule that regularly requires a mix of evening, afternoons (Thurs/Sat/Sun), and weekend shifts. Typical HM shifts are 11:30am-5pm (matinee performances) and 5pm-11:30pm (eve performances). Some later evenings are required due to special event scheduling.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of personalities and situations requiring diplomacy, tact, friendliness, poise, and firmness
- CPR/First Aid certification required (or willingness to obtain if hired)
- Basset Certification required (or willingness to obtain if hired)
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by selecting "Apply Online" at the top of the page. Please indicate in your cover letter how you heard about this open position by listing the specific website or posting location. No phone calls, please.