House Manager and Assistant House Manager
Job Title: House Manager and Assistant House Manager
Position Type: Full-time, non-exempt (includes weekend and evening hours)
Reports to: General Manager and Associate General Manager (collectively the “GM Team”)
Compensation: $15 - $17 /hour, 40hrs per week
Start Date: September 16th, appx. 20+hrs/week, ramping up to 40hrs/week starting October 7th, 2019
About the Project
Hebru Brantley is a Chicago artist known for creating narrative-driven work revolving around his unique characters. Brantley utilizes these characters to address complex ideas around nostalgia, power, and hope.
Hebru Brantley’s Angry Hero and MWM Universe (MWMu), are partnering to create Nevermore Park, a neo-futuristic take on Chicago—where black culture and heroes are at the forefront. Visitors to Nevermore Park will be transported into the fictional hometown of Hebru’s iconic characters: Flyboy and Lil Mama. The immersive art experience spans nearly 6,000 square feet and is scheduled to open in the fall of this year. From the imagination of Hebru Brantley, this experience is the beginning phase of a larger Flyboy Universe franchise being built by MWMu and Angry Hero.
The House Manager and Assistant House Manager will report to the GM Team and be responsible for managing the Front of House Staff, including Box Office, Coat Check, Experience Guides and Gift Shop employees. Ideal candidates for these positions are passionate about expanding Chicago’s cultural experiences in the arts, self-motivated and committed to creating safe, inclusive, and memorable experiences for employees and visitors alike.
In conjunction with the GM Team, the House Manager and Assistant House Manager will be responsible for recruiting, training and motivating a strong team of Front of House staff that reflects the imagination and curiosity of Nevermore Park. Prior to the opening of the immersive art experience, the House Manager and Assistant House Manager will work collaboratively to develop and document Front of House policies and procedures, integrate technology platforms, staff and train all Front of House positions, and document this pre-production process. Post-opening, the House Manager and Assistant House Manager will act as the Manager on Duty during operating hours of the immersive art experience, as well as handle reporting and back office management responsibilities.
We are excited to find candidates for whom Hebru’s work and spirit is meaningful, and who will be driven to help make a smooth, efficient, and fun experience for both audience and fellow staff.
Specific Scope of Work:
- Work collaboratively to develop and implement Front of House policies and procedures, including emergency protocol and employee expectations
- Manage staff including training, scheduling, and coordinating with GM Team to support all HR requirements as applicable
- Supervise all FOH staff including Box Office, Coat Check and Experience Guides
- Attend weekly meetings, conduct pre-shift, regularly scheduled staff meetings and training
- Assure the preparation and use of all FOH spaces for public access including staffing and scheduling, housekeeping, production and operational support
- Assist in training, performance standards, work rules and safety requirements
- Maintain Nevermore Park rules and regulations and compliance with ADA guidelines especially as related to audience safety, access, and comfort
- Act as evacuation marshal, supervising and coordinating Experience Guides and Security
- Assist visitors and employees in answering special requests and resolve problems as necessary
- Complete all required reports and administrative processes
- Perform additional related duties as assigned by the GM Team
Qualifications and Skills:
- Strong leadership skills and proven experience leading and managing a team or department
- Ability to manage up and manage down
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, both internally with colleagues and externally with customers/experience visitors
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to help direct reports and other colleagues improve their organizational skills as well
- Experience with managing a ticketing platform
- Digitally minded with respect to POS systems and record keeping
- A proven ability to meet deadlines
- An interest and passion for the arts
- Bilingual a plus (but not required)
Nevermore Park, LLC is committed to building a dynamic work environment that celebrates individuality and diversity and the principles that promote inclusive practices. Nevermore Park does not discriminate in policy, practice or employment opportunities on the basis of an individual’s race, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by federal, state or local regulations. Individuals from populations underrepresented in the arts/theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume (including 2-3 references) to Missi Davis, Associate General Manager: email@example.com.