Position: House Manager
Reports To: Audience Experience Manager
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 34th Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company's goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell— changed, charged, and empowered.
The House Manager is responsible for overseeing the front of house operation at Lookingglass Theatre. They will ensure that operations run as smoothly as possible before, during, and after the show, while providing the best customer experience possible. This part-time position requires a flexible work schedule, including evenings, weekends, and mid-week matinees. Lookingglass Theatre is seeking a customer service-oriented person to join our Audience Experience Staff.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Comfortably managing, training, and assisting volunteer ushers
• Ensuring that all patrons have a safe and pleasant experience
• Creating a welcoming environment for all audience members, staff, and volunteers
• Managing and troubleshooting ticket scanners
• Work with Stage Management to ensure that performances run smoothly and start on time
• Maintain Health and Safety standards during all performances including implementing COVID safety procedures, checking vaccine cards. etc.
• Maintain facility standards during all performances
• Coordinate with other departments during special events and receptions
• Effectively communicating with all departments
• Successfully directing staff and patrons in the event of an emergency
• Completing show reports
• Current COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory before onboarding, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and granted in accordance with Lookingglass policy.
• Adherence to and participate in implementation of Lookingglass’ COVID protocols
• Participate in organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much to do towards being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. We believe that our work and our lives are infinitely more complex, rewarding, illuminating, and nearer to truth when we have a wider variety of human experiences in our room, at our table, and on our stage. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company.
• Customer service experience
• Great communication skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize
• Experience navigating and de-escalating challenging customer service interactions
• Flexible Availability
o House Managers are scheduled weeknights and weekends, as well as a mid-week matinee, between the hours of noon and 11PM.
• Comfortable learning new computer software
• Must be over 21+
$17 per hour
To be considered, please send cover letter and resume to Maggie McNamara, Director of Marketing, email@example.com with “House Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed and processed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.