Head Preparator/Art Handler
- Exhibits a friendly and approachable demeanor with gallery staff, artists and clients; ensures strong communication is facilitated and deadlines are continually met
- Knowledge of standard/safe art handling practices; adept at problem solving
- Packaging, handling and organization of all manner of artwork and non-artwork; installs and de-installs onsite and off in temporary exhibitions and client viewing room appointments; packs and coordinates shipping of artworks safely (Fedex and FAS); anticipates and helps facilitate incoming shipments and deliveries; assists with loading and unloading of trucks for shipments and field jobs
- Arranges and moves stored objects in off-site and on-site storage, maximizing spatial utilization while maintaining artwork safety
- Inventory management of 1000+ objects; assists the gallery staff with registration of incoming and outgoing artworks; condition reports artworks on an as-needed basis
- Keeps storage areas consistently clean, useable, and client-ready; inventories and readies supplies for outside gallery events, art fairs and exhibitions; administers reuse and recycling policies
- Occasional driving of up to 16ft truck locally and some long distances
- Prioritizes the safety of personnel and artworks, adhering to gallery operational guidelines at all times
- Assists in upkeep of gallery equipment and physical surroundings; general wall repair and painting
- May require occasional field work including packing, delivery, installation and presentations of artworks in client’s homes, offices and galleries
- Attends weekly meetings and performs other related duties as required
- Facilitate move-out of current gallery space and move-in of a new gallery space.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a museum, gallery or art shipping organization; demonstrated expertise in art handling techniques and storing practices.
- Demonstrated concern for detail, accuracy and precise execution of work; ability to quickly identify and resolve problems, ensuring projects stay on schedule.
- Works well independently and in a team; excellent communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Valid drivers license.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs safely.
- Proficient with Mac operating systems and software, including Adobe and Microsoft Suites; familiarity with G Suite.
- BA in Visual Arts, Humanities, Art History or equivalent a plus.
How to Apply
Please email a single PDF that includes a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. We will respond only to applicants we intend to interview.
Average 25 to 30 hours/week