Head of Wardrobe
At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC), we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage and changes lives through the experience of dance. HSDC is home to the premier contemporary dance company in the United States, the largest dance facility in Chicago, and serves the community through youth, education and community engagement programs, and adaptive dance programs that serve thousands across the Chicago area.
HSDC seeks an experienced, hands-on Head of Wardrobe. Reporting to the Director of Production, the Head of Wardrobe is a key member of the production department. Hubbard Street Dance performs in Chicago approximately three to twelve times a year in addition to touring nationally and internationally. The ideal Head of Wardrobe candidate can work collaboratively with the artistic and production leadership to ensure consistent artistic quality.
The Head of Wardrobe is responsible for costume, hair, make-up and accessory needs for all company engagements at home in Chicago as well as out on tour; including load-in, technical rehearsals, run and load-outs. The Head of Wardrobe, with assistance from an overhire team, maintains/manages all repertoires and alterations of existing inventory. This position is non-union and seasonal/part-time.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises and schedules the costume department including all shop employees, theatre wardrobe staff, sub- contractors and third-party costume shops sub-contracted to construct costumes for the Company.
- Works in conjunction with the Artistic Director, Designers, and Director of Production on the successful creation of new costumes to the HSDC repertoire as well as rebuilding/alterations of existing costumes and/or rentals. Design work may be included.
- Manages all wardrobe needs while the company is in performance, including but not limited to: setting out costumes, shoes, towels and accessories in dressing rooms; daily laundry; planning and assisting with quick changes; preparation of costumes for performance; ongoing maintenance; packing of all costumes, shoes and accessories. Extensive touring with the Company will be required.
- Manages and coordinates the ordering and stocking of performance shoes including all dyeing and alterations of specialty shoes. Will administer and track distribution of rehearsal shoes provided by HSDC.
- Responsible for dry-cleaning and re-stocking of costumes upon return from each tour/performance series.
- Administers the annual costume budget, including projection, re-projection, tracking and reconciliation, in concert with the Director of Production. Acts as the chief purchasing agent for all wardrobe supplies and equipment.
- Schedules costume fittings and attends studio costumed run-throughs in cooperation with the Director of Production and Artistic staff.
- Meets with other Artistic staff as necessary to discuss matters pertinent to the costume department and/or the Company as a whole. Maintains the shop equipment and materials.
- Plans and assists production staff in the packing of all wardrobe items and equipment with the Director of Production, and informs team members of any changes.
- Maintains an accurate, regularly updated digital inventory, cleaning instructions, and detailed photographs of all costumes in the repertoire.
- Participates in planning and production meetings concerning new works.
- Facilitates/coordinates revenue generating projects for HSDC costume shop including rentals and/or sales of existing costume inventory.
- Shares driving duties with HSDC production staff, as needed (truck driving NOT included).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- The ideal candidate should have a minimum of 3-years related experience with major arts organizations or a Bachelor’s degree in costume design with specific training in costume creation and maintenance.
- Preference is given to candidates with experience in costuming contemporary dance, especially in a repertory touring setting.
- Supervisory experience in an IATSE, union, and/or non-union environment. Demonstrable ability to lead/train a crew and act as a successful leader in a busy construction shop.
- Literacy in a Microsoft Office environment.
- Applicants should possess strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Superior relationship building and interpersonal skills that allow the individual to function in a variety of settings among widely different groups of artists and stage professionals.
- The ability to work productively, graciously, and in an organized manner under strict time constraints, as well as face demanding situations with tenacity and sensitivity.
- Excitement to creatively troubleshoot challenges.
- Flexibility and a “team player” sensibility and committed to creating a collegiate culture.
- Valid passport required for both domestic and international travel.
- Applicant must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Evening, weekend, and irregular hours are required.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, portfolio link (if available), and references to email@example.com (.pdfs only) by Friday, October 11, 2019.
Please include HEAD OF WARDROBE in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.