Lookingglass produces an average of four productions per year in our intimate 200-seat theater in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Michigan Avenue. The company also produces two large annual galas, smaller fundraising events, and the Curiosity Department works with hundreds of students in classes, summer camps and in-school residencies year-round. The Graphic Designer will focus on the presentation of the visual Lookingglass brand in all company communications and marketing to achieve the goals set forth and to serve the mission of the theatrical projects.
Please note that due to the pandemic, Lookingglass is currently operating with less projects than normal, with plans to smartly and incrementally scale up once in-person performances are safely permitted at a level which supports full producing activities. Projects vary depending on production needs, approximately 10-25 hours a week based on projects.
Projects will be discussed on a case-by-case basis and will include:
- Design digital and printed elements including emails, social media and website graphics, print collateral (ie, study guides, one-pager PDFs, business cards, and incidental items), brochure, subscriber guide, postcards, invitations, signage, and presentations for both stage productions and season subscriptions.
- Generate visual concepts for fundraising and education campaigns which includes two annual fundraising events
- Discuss projects in weekly meetings currently via phone, and likely quarterly in person
- Coordinate with photographer to produce season art concepts (may include photo compositing, retouching, illustration)
- Design multi-page show playbills books in concert with Director of Marketing
- Maintain a calendar of all applicable graphic deadlines and make sure all tasks are completed in a timely manner
- Maintain organized design archives
- Maintain and build on existing design standards by coordinating aesthetic consistency and branding across departments
- Graphic Designer will be expected to adhere to Lookingglass’ organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much to do towards being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company. (https://lookingglasstheatre.org/aeistatement/)